• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello,

I have black belt friend in TKD, and he tells me that TKD is an off shoot of karate. I would like to know if this is true.

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello,

Apparently, the development of TKD was influenced by Shotokan karate. I don´t know the degree of this influence but I am sure someone on this forum can enlighten us. Lets wait and see.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

not so much of an offshoot... modern day tkd was very heavily influenced by karate because japan dominated korea from 1910 to ww2... but the old korean tkd or taek kyon or whatever it used to be has been around for quiiiiite some time in some form or another.

a broken arm throws no punches

Dear all,

If I have a moment to explain. Taekwon-Do is not 2000 years old. It was created in 1955 to unite multiple kwans (gyms) in Korea after decades of oppression and occupation.

Each kwan was an individual expression of its leaders peronal style of Karate-Do. This was merged with the remnance of Soo Bahk and Tae Kyon to for something uniquely Korean...Taekwon-Do

Now, we must remember that Korea was under Japanese rule for an entire generation. That means that original Korean arts had to survive underground for an entire generation. This leads fare to say that Taekyon and Soo Bahk were on the brink of extinction.

The original patterns of the "united" Taekwon-Do were called Pyong Ahn...they are exactly the same as the Heinan Patterns of Shotokan. Since, about 5 major sets have been developed each moving in their own direction. The primary concern being to rid TKD of all things Japanese and create an all new KOREAN identity!

If you see TKD in the 60's and 70's (plus the traditionalists from modern day) it is very rigid and strong with many movements from Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, and Shorei Ryu. As it modernized (moved away from its Japanese influences) it has left us with an Olympics sport...talk about progress (?)

For reference purposes, Taekwon-Do Korean Art of Self Defense by Choi Hong Hi (1963) is hte first text on TKD. It includes the first pattern set (Chang Hon or Chon-Ji set) to be created for the unified art. Patterns included as reference points and credited with a major influence on TKD are the following katas: Heinan and Bassai (both Karate-Do).

Furthermore, Choi Hong Hi is the creator of the first pattern set of Taekwon-Do (being that Pyong Ahn was simply Karate)...He was also a black belt in Shotokan as well as the author of the above listed text!

Hope this helps clarify...for more info email michael@batemantkd.com

TAEKWON!

Spookey

Do not defend against an attacker, but rather become the attacker...Destroy the enemy!

TAEKWON!

General Choi said himself that "TKD is a new art created by me... There was no TKD before Christ"...

Tae Kwon Do, however, was buffered by the existence of Tae Kyon - a 1300 year old martial art.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

nicely written spooky.

I am glad that I grew up with the shotokan influenced TKD....because in all honesty this olympic style stuff just doesn't sit well with me.

Other forms that are shared in karates and some of the older TKDs and TSD are niahanchi also known as the tekkis in karate.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

I don't know the complete history of TKD, but I'm pretty sure that at least some (and probably most) elements of TKD are drawn from the vast pool of ancient Korean martial arts that existed before the Japanese occupation of Korea, and some sources I've read even say existed pre-Karate in Japan.

TKD may or may not be completely "pure" Korean (why it has to be "pure", I dunno), but there are uniquely Korean martial arts out there.

The one I practice, Kuk Sool Won, in it's present form has only been around sinces the early 1970s, but the techniques are drawn from the ancient tribal, buddhist, and royal court martial arts that existed in Korea long before the Japanese occupation. From what I'm learning about Japanese styles and these early Korean styles, is that they differ vastly. Probably one of the most fundamental differences is described as 'circular (Korean) vs. linear (Japanese)'. Also, hard style (Japanese) vs. "hard-soft" style (Korean). Pardon me if this seems like an oversimplification. :)

I can't comment on the "purity" of other Korean martial arts, since I don't know them, but I'm confident there are many that are. Any Hapkido experts here to fill in the blanks?

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

From my research I'd say Spookey has the closest to the real history of it.

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.

Dear All,

Recently, I read a post (cant remember which board) with some great reality checks concerning Kuk Sool Won and Hwa Rang Do...many parallels as well as a link between the founders of both arts to Hapkido, as well as, each mans personal connection to a Jui Jitsu system.

I will find the post and post for your veiwing pleasure.

Also, I would like to add that each martial art has its unique characteristics. Even if it a culmination of other arts! This does become an issue with me when the history as advertised is "purely" an incorrect fabrication.

We are each individuals unique in our own ways, yet are we not still the product of our parents! Only God existed before nothingness, therefore everything else has a relation to something that came before!

TAEKWON!

Spookey

P.S. Humbly awaiting your opinions (and facts)!

Do not defend against an attacker, but rather become the attacker...Destroy the enemy!

TAEKWON!