• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

P-A-S

However, they are grapplers and so fight primarily in the two phases that White Warlock pointed out that accuracy was less important- takedowns and ground fighting. Was he wrong? (:stirs pot:)

Pfft, quiet you. :evil:

:brow:

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, to tell you the truth, although i've worked on it and continued to work on it, ground fighting is the weakest aspect of my training. but from what i've learned about joint locks, getting joints in 90 degree angles seems to be the key, which requires accuracy. also, just simple limb placement is important. it dosen't require absolute precision, but it seems to play a factor. though the more powerful fighter will win when equal technique is involved, the one with the best technique will win when there are two equally powerful fighters. then again, maybe my focus on these is why my ground fighting sucks so much :P

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

well, to tell you the truth, although i've worked on it and continued to work on it, ground fighting is the weakest aspect of my training. but from what i've learned about joint locks, getting joints in 90 degree angles seems to be the key, which requires accuracy. also, just simple limb placement is important. it dosen't require absolute precision, but it seems to play a factor. though the more powerful fighter will win when equal technique is involved, the one with the best technique will win when there are two equally powerful fighters. then again, maybe my focus on these is why my ground fighting sucks so much :P

Again, some good points (and I'm with you on the need for better ground fighting skills :bawling: ).

One thing this discusssion is clarifying in my mind is the interdependance of all aspects of the arts in effective fighting. And with the ebb and flow of the fight, the importance of each component seems to change as well. In pure strikeing at long to medium range, A S P would probably be the order of importance (to me, any way). But as the fight moves closer, even without grappling, I think speed becomes more of a factor as things tend to start to happen a lot faster. At the point where someone clinches or grabs, the ballance might shift to S P A or even P S A. And one might overcome the other in any range against a particular opponent, you play to your strengths and his weakneses. So I doubt there is a clear and constant dileniation to any of this.

I've probably just increased the popularity of the :-? smiley with this post, but oh well... .

Good discussion so far.

Freedom isn't free!

some good points yourself, but i don't know that accuracy ever comes in last. like DM mentioned in another thread somewhere, simple body positioning and alignment can make the difference between an effective and an ineffective punch. i heartily believe that no matter where you are in relation to your opponent, accuracy will probably be at the top.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

some good points yourself, but i don't know that accuracy ever comes in last. like DM mentioned in another thread somewhere, simple body positioning and alignment can make the difference between an effective and an ineffective punch.

...or joint lock. Sometimes getting the lock on is not enough, a slight alteration can make the difference, hence accuracy. But, if you are slow, you're not going to lock anyone. Power helps, but I have used speed and accuracy to beat power in a ground match-up.

I'm so confused.... :-? ....no I'm not, I just wanted to use the proper emoticon to make Delta1's prediction come true. :lol:

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

...wow....

someone used something i said in their posts....

i'm flattered.

but really, i should point out that in some styles, body structure doesn't change that much during the 'fighting process'.

as such, they don't have to actively think about being physically accurate (cos it is second nature).

i.e it isn't an issue, whereas accuracy of techniques does.

understand

:-?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

perhaps, but you can live without your hear longer than you can live without your liver :P

its all important no one is more important. your body is a unity you cant live without your heart....

Let's see if i can top this:

"One must feel the essence of forces interchanging, a pattern of uniform resistance and cohesion that brings together all manner of life in a continuous stream of energy, which can be channeled and directed to induce immense physical and psychological harm, notwithstanding the interspersal aspects of cogent relations, at least as they pertain to macabre monkey suits."

*returns to a meditative state* :-?

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro