• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

P-A-S

power.

OK.

speed is fine, but people then to overexaggerate things when it comes to speed. ...you don't move so fast that I will NEVER hit you. on the other hand, you may not be strong enough to do sufficient damage to me,...

An accurate strike can't take out a larger opponent? Temple, groin, knee, bai hui cavity,...?

accuracy is fine, but as long as I am aiming at a large enough target, I can hit you. that's why you hear me speak against things like pressure point strikes and strikes to the throat.

So, aim for a small target, and if you miss you still hit him.

if my hands are up, my chin is tucked and I am moving, it will be VERY hard for you to touch my throat at all. with me moving and striking, it will be very hard for you to hit something as precise as a pressure point.

Targets can't be opened up, or set up?

However, If I am aiming at big targets - legs and torso - my chance of hitting you is much greater, and the damamge will still wear on you.

So it comes down to whether you wear him down before he gets in an accurate strike, or wears you down. Sounds like he has the edge.

aim for the head also, but it's smaller and should always be in motion. watch boxers - they don't always land every head shot (accuracy) due to small target size and head movement, but when they do, it does damage, and in some cases KOs (power)

Watch boxers gloves protect the boxers hands from strikes that, if landed on the street, might seriously dammage their hands.

Like I said, no wrong answers, just a lot of questions! 8)

Freedom isn't free!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A-S-P (credit Mr. Chuck Sullivan with the acronym.)

Accuracy, speed, and power- in that order (my opinion, just to be fair here).

You have to be accurate enough to hit the right thing the right way to maximize effect and protect yourself from accidental dammage.

Speed is essential to get past his defenses to the tearget you've so accurately struck at before it moves too far. Speed is also a major component of power in a strike.

Power is important, but is enhanced tremendously by accuracy and speed.

Freedom isn't free!

rule number one of bar fights (streetfights too) is that the bigger guy wins. (rule two is anything can happen, but thats not relevant.) power is what makes punches hurt, for those of you saying power is not as useful as speed or only for grappling or whatever. my favorate example: oscar de la hoya is faster, more accurate, and surely more skilled than tyson... but who do you think wins the brawl?

a broken arm throws no punches

A-S-P (credit Mr. Chuck Sullivan with the acronym.)

Just noticed my mock-thesis closed the gap with A-S-P. Interesting how that works, eh?

rule number one of bar fights (streetfights too) is that the bigger guy wins.

Umm, rule number one in a bar fight is, there are no rules. :roll:

From my experience, size is not the determining factor. But, what do i know, right?

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

An accurate strike can't take out a larger opponent? Temple, groin, knee, bai * cavity,...?

can it? sure. will it always? No. you're putting too much stock in a possibility.

So, aim for a small target, and if you miss you still hit him.

which defeats the purpose of the striking the small area. you aim for a pressure point and miss, then you end up hitting the same large target I am initially aiming for anyway. if you happen to hit the point, cool. I have about the same chance of hitting the small point by chance.

Targets can't be opened up, or set up?

you're in a fight, brawling for your life. you likely won't have time to set up anything - you work with what you have.

So it comes down to whether you wear him down before he gets in an accurate strike, or wears you down. Sounds like he has the edge.

not really. his accurate strike may not do squat to me - size means plenty. Also, because of the strength factor, he may be KTFO before he has that chance.

Watch boxers gloves protect the boxers hands from strikes that, if landed on the street, might seriously dammage their hands.

there are really only two main areas where that would happen - the skull/forehead area and the chin. the nose and cheekbone actually break quite easily. you have that same chance of hitting my skull when you aim for the temple and I duck my head. trying to hit my throat while my chin is tucked? you may hit my chin. your accuracy is only as good as my defense - you can't hit a target that's not there. my power is a factor regardless.

Like I said, no wrong answers, just a lot of questions! 8)

yeah, everyone will definitely have their own oppinion.

WW, I wouldn't place penetration under accuracy. it will be your power that causes the penetration, not how accurate you are. Possibly timing, but that of itself isn't accuracy.

can it (accuracy, take out a larger opponent)? sure. will it always? No. you're putting too much stock in a possibility.

No, just improving my odds.

aim for a small target, and if you miss you still hit him. which defeats the purpose of striking the small area. you aim and miss, then you end up hitting the large target anyway. if you happen to hit the point, cool. I have about the same chance of hitting the small point by chance.

I disagree here (not just playing devils advocate now). Aiming your strikes doesn't guarantee a hit, but I think it is obviouse that it radically improves your chances of hitting what you want.

you're in a fight, brawling for your life. you likely won't have time to set up anything - you work with what you have.

Sometimes the case, but you commit the falacy of exclusion here- there are many more types of fights than brawling for your life. And, even in a brawl, it is possible to create an opening or take advantage of one that occurs.

his accurate strike may not do squat to me - size means plenty. Also, because of the strength factor, he may be KTFO before he has that chance.

Maybe, anything can happen. The point is that an accurate strike to a vulnerable area increases your chances of comeing out on top- especially in the case of fighting a larger opponent. If, as you say (and I agree), "size means plenty," then you need something in your arsenal to offset that advantage. Instinctive accuracy and target selection is one of those tools.

you have that same chance of hitting my skull when you aim for the temple and I duck my head. trying to hit my throat while my chin is tucked?...my power is a factor regardless.

Of course your power is a factor, but not the only one. And I wouldn't try to hit your throat if your chin is tucked. But I would try a good hammerfist to your bai * cavity, which you have just so cooperatively put at the perfect range and angle of incidence for me. Thanks! I'll take it!

No, I don't have the same chance of hitting your skull if I aim for your temple, because I can still control and adjust or change my strike.

it will be your power that causes the penetration, not how accurate you are.

penetration will depend on a lot of things:

power, true enough

speed, both as a component of power and in its own rite

target and weapon selection and configuration

accuracy

angle of incidence of the strike

in some cases, the relative fitness of your opponent

proper form and technique

and probably many others that my somewhat fogged brain doesn't recognize

everyone will definitely have their own oppinion.

This bunch? Naahhh! Good discussion, though. Glad to have opinions from you mud rollers! :)

Freedom isn't free!

No man about what you said earlier u misunderstood me. ican build my power faster and more easily than i can speed...same with accuracy. im not saying its at all more important im just saying that for me personally my power and accuracy would increase at a greater rate(even with the same hours of training) than my speed. more time and effort would have to go into that to gather the same effect.

Sometimes the case, but you commit the falacy of exclusion here- there are many more types of fights than brawling for your life. And, even in a brawl, it is possible to create an opening or take advantage of one that occurs.

Yeppers. Street fights are not sparring events, but they also aren't aliens. You've practiced to deal with many of the things that may fly your way. Also, my personal experiences have shown me that time seems to slow down and speed up at just the right moments. Much of this is mindset, but with the proper mindset, you can do a helluva lot, so don't discount setting up your opponent or using combinations.

WW, I wouldn't place penetration under accuracy. it will be your power that causes the penetration, not how accurate you are. Possibly timing, but that of itself isn't accuracy.

I'll have to agree with Delta1 on this. Penetration is actually a combination of all three, so you're right SevenStar, it shouldn't be placed solely under accuracy.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

just wanna throw up a little question.

when you say accuracy, are you talking about accuracy of 'hitting a target'

or accuracy in 'executing a technique' (which should result in hitting the target anyway...)?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."