P-A-S

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take accuracy because you can have average speed and power and defend yourself with an accurate attack to the throat, eyes, soft tissue areas, etc. Power and speed without accuracy means you are working harder than you need to. I believe that if your technique is precise, you can develop speed and utlimately power. I see many stronger people get outperformed (grappling, sweeping, throwing, sparring, etc.) by people of lesser stature because of accuracy and precision.

Of course, speed and power are "platform dependent" (Redmond gets the credit for the phrase). A 90 pound person who is accurate would get plowed by a 6'4", 310 lb NFL football player who has speed and power. But all things being equal, I would take accuracy.

Good topic.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Hmm... assuming technique isn't in this mix, i would say accuracy is #1 for striking, speed is #1 for takedowns and power is #1 for groundwork. Oh, you asked for a why... pfft.

In striking, you are 'usually' not in contact with the opponent until you impact. Because there are far more places on the body that a strike would have little effect, and even some places where you could easily injure your fist or wrist if you strike there, accuracy becomes more important than either power or speed. No matter how hard, or how fast, you hit a rock, it's still a rock. Best be accurate enough not to hit that stupid rock in the first place. ;)

In takedowns, speed takes front and center. Speed is essential to get in and apply a takedown before your opponent can prevent you from doing so. Because you already have contact with your opponent when 'finishing' a takedown, and because you are attempting to obtain and control a 'general' target, accuracy isn't nearly as critical. Power is a close second, because in order to complete a technique, you often have to apply power to 'force' it to work. However, having to apply power often has to do with the fact the opponent has had the opportunity to perform a counter, or at least some form of resistance. This means... you simply weren't fast enough. ;)

In groundwork, power is critical. Don't confuse power with strength. Power is a combination of strength, leverage, and effective application of body mass. When you realize this, it becomes pretty obvious why power takes the lead on the ground. Speed is a close second, because if you are able to perform a technique quickly, you'll more likely be able to catch your opponent off guard, but because groundwork requires a significant degree of physical contact... the effect of speed as an advantage is significantly reduced. I.e., despite having speed, you are still far more predictable, because there is simply more signals to be received. Every friggin' muscle in your body, when in full-physical contact, is muscle-memory readable by your opponent, which gives your opposition a significant defensive advantage, if you were to rely on speed alone. As far as accuracy, the fudge-factor with groundwork is huge, so it really doesn't matter all that much how accurate you are... just as long as you get the general areas you are attempting to manipulate or control.

And there's my thesis. :P

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

if i had to take one overall i would take speed, not because it is more important than the other two, but because i feel i could build accuracy and power more easily than natural speed. but that said they are all important in the end no matter what you start off with.heh good thesis by the way.

power.

speed is fine, but people then to overexaggerate things when it comes to speed. you may be faster than me, but you don't move so fast that I will NEVER hit you. on the other hand, you may not be strong enough to do sufficient damage to me, even though you are faster. They don't have weight classes because little guys are faster - they have them so the big strong guys don't knock them the hell out.

accuracy is fine, but as long as I am aiming at a large enough target, I can hit you. that's why you hear me speak against things like pressure point strikes and strikes to the throat. if my hands are up, my chin is tucked and I am moving, it will be VERY hard for you to touch my throat at all. with me moving and striking, it will be very hard for you to hit something as precise as a pressure point. However, If I am aiming at big targets - legs and torso - my chance of hitting you is much greater, and the damamge will still wear on you. aim for the head also, but it's smaller and should always be in motion. watch boxers - they don't always land every head shot (accuracy) due to small target size and head movement, but when they do, it does damage, and in some cases KOs (power)

heh good thesis by the way.

thanks. :P

accuracy is fine, but as long as I am aiming at a large enough target, I can hit you.

Maybe it's a perception thing, but i include angle of trajectory and penetration as part of accuracy. Angle of trajectory takes into account a target's movement and body curves. Penetration is pretty much that whole 3" deep thing. Essentially, you don't aim to strike the surface, you aim to strike 3" in (actually, i aim to strike deeper than that, depending on where the organs are). When it comes to accuracy, i'm considering the targets within, not the targets without.

Any thoughts on this differing perception?

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

There are no wrong answers, since I asked for an opinion. But I'm going to play devils advocate.

I'll take accuracy because you can have average speed and power and defend yourself with an accurate attack to the throat, eyes, soft tissue areas, etc. Power and speed without accuracy means you are working harder than you need to. I believe that if your technique is precise, you can develop speed and utlimately power.

I agree, so it is difficult to critique this one. But, wouldn't it be possible that speedand/or power could open these targets up for you? How does that effect the preeminance of accuracy?

Freedom isn't free!

power. just grapple and be strong,... accuracy... eh, as long as you hit the * its all good. if you have power.

And what happens when you hit the * in a hard part of his anatomy and break your fist?... or don't nail him good but give him an extended arm and your momentum?... or he eats the pain then eats your lunch?

Freedom isn't free!

...accuracy is #1 for striking, speed is #1 for takedowns and power is #1 for groundwork.

In striking, you are 'usually' not in contact with the opponent until you impact. Because there are far more places on the body that a strike would have little effect, and even some places where you could easily injure your fist or wrist if you strike there, accuracy becomes more important than either power or speed.

In takedowns, speed takes front and center. Speed is essential to get in and apply a takedown before your opponent can prevent you from doing so. Because you already have contact with your opponent when 'finishing' a takedown, and because you are attempting to obtain and control a 'general' target, accuracy isn't nearly as critical.

In groundwork, power is critical. Don't confuse power with strength. Power is a combination of strength, leverage, and effective application of body mass. When you realize this, it becomes pretty obvious why power takes the lead on the ground.

...i include angle of trajectory and penetration as part of accuracy. Angle of trajectory takes into account a target's movement and body curves. Penetration is pretty much that whole 3" deep thing. Essentially, you don't aim to strike the surface, you aim to strike 3" in (actually, i aim to strike deeper than that, depending on where the organs are). When it comes to accuracy, i'm considering the targets within, not the targets without.

And just how am I supposed to say anything to that? :-?

Good job- except that 'i' should be capitalized when talking about yourself! :P

Freedom isn't free!

if i had to take one overall i would take speed, not because it is more important than the other two, but because i feel i could build accuracy and power more easily than natural speed.

You don't think you could build speed? Or learn to enhance it by inducing a flinch or the use of an obscure zone? How does speed help if you very quickly miss your target, or just tag it lightly?

Freedom isn't free!