• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

[quote name="Drunken Monkey

in the u.k' date=' san shou isn't that big.

could be cos of the big time kick-boxing/muay thai gyms in central london.

what's it like over in your part of the woods?[/quote]

It's not big here either, but it is growing. It's not only trained as a side activity at cma schools only, however, it is taught that way. There are several schools that focus only on san shou.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I train and teach San Shou in a San Shou specific facility and would argue that is is more like Muay Thai than most like to think. More and more venues are allowing knee strikes. A majority of the techniques cross over nicely and knee and elbow strikes are taught, but not allowed in a majority of events.

San Shou will be a demonstration sport at the 2008 Bejing Olympics(Or So I've heard.)

i've heard about 2008 too.....

anyway.

the one thing about san shou that marks it out is the throws.

from the little i've seen, many fights are won on points gained from throws.

while they are impressive, it just seems kinda 'wrong' when hand+foot technique seems to play second fiddle to the throws....

again, cos this is something i have limited exposure to,

please feel free to tear my post to shreds.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

All depends on the fighter...Cung Le likes to throw and he seems to be the basis of most peoples opinions. I on the other hand like to strike, as did my instructor( Iron Arahat for any who remember him from the forums). This was reflected in the style of fights we had at competitions where we gained a reputation for stand up strikers, and others would adjust for this. I hate hit and runners....and throwers for that matter...they rub their sweat on me. :x