• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It seems to also be called "Shaolin Kickboxing" and appears to be taught in both traditional and sport manifestations. There's also talk of it being featured in the 2008 olympics. What's that all about?

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

SanShou or SanDa (read it in Mandrain) is the sparring sports of Wushu.

You can kick, punch, throw, grab.. anything you can think of in a MMA fights minus the elbow, knee and choking.

SanShou have their own sets of rules and point awarding system.

Sounds cool.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

Does anyone here practice this, or some form of Chinese Kickboxing that allows throws.

Could you point me to any good informational websites on Chinese Kickboxing.

um, i would say that it is more like kick-boxing with a different set of rules.

it's been widely accepted by the chinese martial arts organisations as the prefered format for sports competition.

i should point out that it isn't an art per se, but more like a side activity where everyone can train for and take part.

finally, yeah, i kinda do kick-boxing san shou rules except where i play, we don't have mats, so we don't go into the big throws as much (but normal take downs are still allowed).

just so you know, even with big 12oz gloves on, trapping+stealing+pinning still works....

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• 4 weeks later...

San Shou is almost identical to Muay Thai. The only difference is that MT doesn't allow throws while SS awards points for them (the ref decides 1, 2, or 3 depending on how good it was) while MT uses elbows while SS does not. SS was apparently developed by the chinese military and soon became a sport.

If you ever get a chance to watch "Kickboxing" (as it is listed in the tv guide) on espn2 usually, while it's mostly K-1 fights, often they show a SS match or two.

While SS and MT organizations have tried to get into the olympics, it's probably just a dream, as the sports are far too brutal. Even boxing is widely criticized these days. Anyway, ask around in the kickboxing forum, you'll probably get more info there.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

i should point out that it isn't an art per se, but more like a side activity where everyone can train for and take part.

There are schools that teach san shou only and would disagree with that statement.

...probably...

but then i'm only saying what i've noticed.

the places around me here teach another style as the main focus i.e lee gar or shaolin, who also have a san shou element.

in this format, the san shou really is like a side activity but then thare are some who only tru up for the san shou (and hence, do not take part in the 'main' art).

in the u.k, san shou isn't that big.

could be cos of the big time kick-boxing/muay thai gyms in central london.

what's it like over in your part of the woods?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

in the u.k, san shou isn't that big.

I'd agree. There's a lot more kickboxing, boxing and Muay Thai gyms about.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!