• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sporting new Dobock

Recently started up pure TKD in a city that I'll eventually be moving to. I like the Dobock better than the Gi. Why? Cuz it's a V-Neck, and doesn't have the stupid drawstrings that get undone, rip, and even get lost afterwards.

I'm a really lean guy. Sometimes, I have to tighten my belt during class because of water loss, and then it feels somehow too loose. During high intensity kicks, I usually end up having to pull the top down because the rest of the uniform ends up bunching above the belt, especially when it's not so tight. It's not as bad as the Gi, but I still find it annoying to constantly be pulling stuff back into its proper place. Does anyone else find this aggrivating as well?

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is "pure" TKD? Do you know which organization the instructor affiliates with, if any? Which hyungs/tuls/katas are you learning?

Both the V-neck and the tied versions are doboks. Gi is, I believe, the Japanese word for the martial arts uniform. Typically, the V-neck is worn by WTF-TKD practitioners, while the tie-front is worn by ITF-TKD practitioners.

Sorry! "Pure" was an inside comment geared to the fact that the style I started with had a strong tinge of TKD already in it. Now I'm just studying TKD, and not some strange hybrid.

And yes, this is WTF.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

I prefer the V-necked uniform simply because I hate futzing around with the other. It also drives me crazy during class when students are constantly fixing their top. Either wear a t-shirt underneath it or just leave the dang thing alone until the class is over for crying out loud!

Team Respect

I may have taught you everything you know, but I haven't taught you everything I know. Age and treachery can beat youth and speed any day.

I imagine so.

I wear the old style uniform. Personally I have never had the top come undone on me. You should be able to get the ties tight enough so that it doesnt come undone. Your belt should be however tight it is comfortable so that you can still breath easily. It makes me think that your belt might not be tight enough if the top keeps riding up or shifting. I am a fat guy however when I do my belt I try to get the belt a little bit tighter than a perfect fit.

Long Live the Fighters!

The belt can be so tight that I look like a toothpick - yet the top still shifts out of place all the time.

Hmm well without knowing how it fits on you its kinda hard to picture but here are some causes that it could be: The belt should be tied around your waist not way down on your leg joints, the top should be tied to that you just have enough room to move a little on the inside, also I have noticed from personal experience if I have a belt thats too small i.e. one I can only wrap around once my uniform gets all messed up however if it is the proper size and wraps around twice its fine. Which also makes me ask are you tying your belt properly? Cause that could make the uniform shift too.

Long Live the Fighters!

At my dojang we switched from using the old dobok to using the V necks. Nearly everybody has a problem with their uniform getting out of wack after doing a series of techniques.

"When the time is right even a mouse can become a tiger"

High Green Belt ITF ATFI Taekwondo