• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Taek Kyon - past and present

What can you tell me about Taek Kyon. Can you give me any web-based sources about it's techniques and history. It looks like the original kicking art of Korea. However, that leads me to my next question: why do kicks seem to dominate korean arts.

I'm trying to do alot of historical research on Tae Kwon Do, and other Korean arts. I'm looking for good leads of research and media.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Probably the best resource on Tae Kyon and development on Taekwondo is Grandmaster Kim Soo of Houston, Texas. Here is a link to some old-days photos and information about Tae Kyon: http://www.kimsookarate.com/gallery-old-days/song-duk-ki.html

Kicks dominate Korean arts because of the culture. Hands are seen as valuable and for higher-mind things, such as writing, poetry, etc. Whereas, the feet are used for "dirty" things, such as fighting walking(work), etc.

R. McLain

Thanks, that's a step in the right direction. :)

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

• 2 weeks later...

The art itself is very close to being extinct, but there's still some info here and there. I remember hearing claims against Choi Hong - Hi, saying he couldn't have learned about Taek Kyon as a kid, since the style was pretty much dead at that time.

• 2 weeks later...

Tae Kwon Do was practiced about 50 b.c. During this time, Korea was divided into three kingdoms: Silla, which was found on the Kyongju plain in 57 b.c.; Koguryo, found in the Yalu River Valley in 37 b.c; and Baekche, found in the southwestern area of the Korean peninsula in 18 b.c. Evidence of the practice of Taek Kyon (the earliest known form of Tae Kwon Do)

"Smarts and Power will always Overcome"

• 3 weeks later...

taekyon is dead and has been for at least 100 years.

TKD is only 60 years old if that.

TKD was not practiced until the 20th century and is a direct off shoot from shotokan karate.

There is an excellent article in The Journal of Asain Martial Arts. Volume 12~Number 4~2003.

"Ancient Military Manuals and Their Relation to Madern Korean Martial Arts" by Manuel E. Adrongue.

N\The article is well researched, cited, and most important to your reasearch, has a two page bibliography.

It looks like the original kicking art of Korea.

it is - i think it means "korean foot-fighting", translated freely.

why do kicks seem to dominate korean arts.

not sure... i once heard that high kicks were need to knock riders off their horses.

Taek Kyon is one of the arts Gen.Choi took parts off and formed them over years to what is known as TKD today. Taek Kyon however is not part of it anymore - most kicks are varied or replaced by others, yet until 15 or 20 years ago, traditional Taek Kyon was part of the programm you needed for 5th and 6th Dan grade.

maybe this helps. i am sure ur instructor knows something about this as well.