0 to 10

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i did not say that martial arts is not about fighting. but would you say that mahammad ali was a martial artist? no. but can he fight? hell yes.

there is a diffence between bashing the * out of someone and being a martial artist. martial arts is about fighting, but its about a whole lot more.

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, and I am NOT a big man.

Tae Kwon Do (ITF) - 1st Dan Black Belt

Shotokan Karate - 6th Kyu

Actually, yes i would consider Muhammad Ali a martial artist. Just because boxing and wrestling originated from Ancient Rome's pankration, doesn't mean they aren't martial art systems, albeit converted into sport. Judo, as well, is a sport, and yet people call it a martial art.

Also, Ali was a great boxer, but not necessarily a great fighter. Same could be said of a judoka, who may be a great judo practitioner, but not necessarily a great fighter.

I do find it a little unnerving that the general tendency is to look at Asian martial art systems and to state they are the only ones that deserve to be called martial arts.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

basically, if you look at the definition of the word art, and see if that applies to a fighting method, then it is a martial art.

maybe boxing is not the greatest example of my point. but i know a lot of people that are good fighters that are definitely not martial artists.

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, and I am NOT a big man.

Tae Kwon Do (ITF) - 1st Dan Black Belt

Shotokan Karate - 6th Kyu

That is so harsh on yourself! Are you really saying that you are no better at MA now than when you walked through the door into your dojo for your first ever lesson? No matter how awful you think you are, if you've been doing MA for four years you will surely have improved.

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals . . . except the weasel."

- Homer J Simpson

I would say I would rate myself using the style of rsating I have seen when judges mark kata in competitions.

Personally I would say that on a good day I am about 6.2.

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!

Woo my first post :D Im currently taking Jeet Kune Do and ive taken some taekwon-do. So in total ive done about 5-6 months of training. I am pretty confedent in my fighting ability but i still got alot to learn. So i rate myself a 2 out of 10. I must take my training further! :kaioken:

Only death can save you from me

I'm not sure I understand the question entirely. Do you mean when yo say 0-10, the ability you have in form? Or do you mean Your Knowledge?

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!