• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

0 to 10

Either. What you feel to be your physical martial arts level oif skill and also how you rate your mental MA skill. I think most people have interpreted the question to mean their physical level of MA skill.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, considering on how much I have looked into a lot of styles of MA and have studied in MA for 11 years (since i was 5). I would rate myself as a 0. There is always more you can learn. You can never stop learning in the MA. I mean, MA is not just the techniquie of fighting, it is the mind, spirt, body, etc... you get it. And the only way I am going to get to that perfect 10 is if I study for the rest of my natural given life and study when I have passed on. And once I have passed on, I have all the time I need to master this. And believe it or not, I still wont know what the heck I am doing. But, you know, if I had to rate myself upon what my sensei's say, I would rate my self an 8 for the belt level I am at now. Thanks for listening.

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

And once I have passed on, I have all the time I need to master this. And believe it or not, I still wont know what the heck I am doing.

lol, can I join you in that corner on 'The Other Side' along with all the other people that don't know what they're doing?? :D

Good post, though. You're right- there's always something to learn & improve on.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

You need more points on your scale to make it easier to fit onto it, other than just worst-ever and grandmaster. Of course, if it take (say) 6 months to go from level 0 to 1, it probably takes a year to go from 1 to 2, and longer with each subsequent level... Because once you get the basics, improvement is much more gradual. How long does it take to be a grandmaster? Most of the people that have worn that title well have well over 30 years regular (often daily) practice under their belt.

I've done county-level competition in Fencing, and know the theory very well, so probably a 6

As a striking martial artist, I'd rate myself 4 to 5; as a grappler 2 to 3.

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

The 0-10 'worst-ever' to 'grandmaster' was just a rough guide. It's hard to put a numerical value on ability and progress, but I was just trying to give a general guide to a scale so that people could rate their MA abilities, if they so wished.

Sheffield Steelers!

Range 0 - Groundwork = 2

Range 1 - Close Striking (elbows, hooks, knees, bite, lick) = 1

Range 1 - Throws, clinch, standing grapple = 2

Range 2 - Short Striking (punches, short kicks, knees) = 2

Range 2 - Weapons (knife, etc) = 1

Range 3 - Med Striking (lunge punches, medium kicks) = 2

Range 3 - Weapons (swords, etc) = 0

Range 4 - Long Striking (long kicks, charges) = 1

Range 4 - Weapons (long spears, etc) = 0

Range 5 - Short range missile (throwing knives, shirukens) = 0

Range 6 - Med range missile (archery, guns) = 3

Combat Theory = 1

Combat Avoidance (non-communication) = 6

Communication (de-escalation, etc) = 3

Instruction = 2

Fitness = 4

Will (determination, perseverence) = 5

That would be

2+1+2+2+1+2+0+1+0+0+3+1+6+3+2+4+5 / 17 = 2

I have only been training for 18 months, with pretty much no combat experience prior to that. The 3 for guns and archery comes from living on a farm when I was younger and natural ability with archery.

I can see that in 4 years that I be up around the 4 or 5 mark. That is my aim, really. Then I will be able to defend myself and my family/loved ones.

I'd say a 1, but then I haven't seen all the babbies in the world yet, and i'm just getting back into the life.

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

i dont know how youre all rating things... but it seems everyone has a different yard stick. me, id consider a normal guy whos never fought or trainied a zero, and someone like ken shamrock or lennox lewis or other world class fighters a 9 or 10. (my scale based soley on fighting ability) based on that, i seriously doubt anyone in this forum is above a 2, myself included. lets face it, they could whoop our * with the flu.

a broken arm throws no punches

Okay, so you're a 2 at the most. But is it necessary to make an assumption about the rest of us, especially since you never ever trained with any of us? It's as if you're afraid to admit that someone in this forum could possibly be any good, or any better than you, which would invalidate your input in some way.

Personally, i think a few people here have seriously underrated themselves, but then again... i never worked out with them. Then again, because i've never worked out with them, i don't claim to know where they stand, in comparison to people like Shamrock or Lewis.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro