• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cars

aefibird

In the 70's, those hemis were hard to beat.

70's?? You've got the wrong decade. 8)

The Mopar motors' had the spotlight in the late '60s and very early 70's, when Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge took what Pontiac started with the GTO, and raised the bar a notch with the Hemi's and Magnums. The 1969 Charger Daytona was the pinnacle of Mopar's acheivements, IMHO. Then, in the early 70's, Chevy caught up with their big blocks (427's, 454's) and took over as reigning king of factory HP. But that was all she wrote, because in the mid-70's everything went to heck in a handbasket with the oil embargo, and the Big 3 automakers stopped competing in making big power motors. Poor old Ford, always played at best 2nd place to the other two auto makers. :D

Note, I'm talking factory stock here. Even in that day, there was all kinds of magic you could apply to any make of motor to make it badder than any factory stock motor, no matter who made it. But when talking about factory stock, the 440 Magnum was bigger and badder than the Hemi (a mere 426 cu.in. :P ), but the Hemi had such an exotic head design, it got all the press and notoriety.

No doubt, the Hemi was ahead of it's time, and made excellent power, but Mopar proved even within it's own motors that you could take conventional head design and make even more power just by giving the engine more cubes.

"Cubes." I like that word. :D

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drive a 1998 Ford contour. It's the 4 cylinder zetec, and it gets great gas mileage, especially if I take it easy. I got 40 miles per gallon on my last tank of gas. Besides I got it for $1600 and I'm the second owner. It did have 117,000 miles, but it runs great so I'm not complaining.

The first vehicle I ever bougt was a 1983 honda nighthawk 650, which is alot more fun than a car, but obviously not as practical, so I had to get a car.