• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cars

aefibird

190 is the top spec model that's just released here.

it's also the one you guys will be getting.

not sure if you'll get the exige (a closed top elise with more downforce and race oriented set up...) though, even though it has the same engine.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work with Delta International Cargo and we have gotten a few of the Elise in to be sold here. They are very sharp looking. I think we have gotten the race oriented one as well. They have hard tops and a racing harness for the driver. I love the colors they come in. One night we got one of each color in. Looked like a rainbow. :)

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

talk about amazing chassis set up and the *typical* american guy talks about horsepower and engine size....

no offence intended but why do most americans like to talk of big numbers in their cars?

DM,

If you've never experienced the POWAH!! of a large motor, then I can understand your feeling. Once you've experience what power behind the wheel feels like, you're hooked. As the old adage goes, "There's no replacement for displacement!"

But just because we like to talk about horsepower, it doesn't mean we aren't interested in the chassis setup. Many gearheads here in the States like to drag race, while others prefer the twisties and race in Auto-X events sponsored by the SCCA. But you have to choose one or the other because a chassis and suspension setup that makes a car perform good in one type of racing makes it perform poorly in the other. A car set up with compromises to do both types of racing will do poorly in both types.

My car has a "twisties" type suspension setup. It's been lowered 1" all around with stiffer, hi-performance springs, it has larger anti-sway bars, and has hi-performance shocks. That's pretty much all there is to tweaking my car's chassis and suspension other than using competition tires instead of street tires.

Still, I like to take mine drag racing even though I know it won't do as well as it could with a different suspension. The rush of raw, powerful acceleration is addicting, and I can only say that you have to experience it to understand it. Probably the only thing as much fun as that kind of acceleration, is awesome top speed! And you can only get either with LOTS of horsepower!! :D

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

well, i have driven big engined/high powered cars and of varying characters.

under my driving belt i have a ferrari 355, tvr griffith, lotus esprit, evo 6, 911 GT3 (the new one) as well as a plethora of 'hot-hatches'and yes i agree, the power rush is a fantastic thing.

(but then the engines in these things aren't really the same as the 'typical' american V8 in terms of refinement :brow: ).

it could just be that i'm not that great a driver but i never really felt like i was in control of these things, except the evo and strangely, the GT3.

with the others it kinda felt like i was either not using what i could or struggling to keep it together.

it might be to do with our mentality.

i prefer to feel like i am pushing the car to it's limits and i find it easier and safer to judge in a 'smaller' car.

the thrill i got from doing two and half spins in a 355 wasn't the same as the thrill i got from going sideways for 50 yards in a nissan micra (albeit in rally trim..).

the difference was

'what the fu...'

compared to

'whoooooooo'

like i said, that's just me.

anyway, back to the elise.

the exige has different skirts, bumper and a nice big wing on it.

i think most 'standard' elises destined fot the us will have the optional hard-top (complete with little gull-wing openings in the roof) included (or optioned)

they are fabulous things.

my local dealer (also the local subaru dealer....) has about 20 of them on permanent display, from the S1 through to the newest.

i can't explain why i like them so much.

i think it's because of the purity of it.

nice light car.

nice light engine.

able to use everything it has.

no excess, no fuss.

hmm, sounds like wing chun....

:brow:

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

nice light car.

nice light engine.

able to use everything it has.

That's what it all boils down to ultimately. Horsepower to weight ratio really jumps on the plus side in a light vehicle.

That's another big reason we like big powered motors, is the HP/Wt ratio would be awful in the relatively heavy cars I like.

Few words can describe the purr of a Ferrari motor, no doubt! But to someone that loves to dive under the hood and affect repairs myself, I'm not so sure I'd be up to the task with some of the essentially "de-tuned" race engines like you find in the Ferraris. Not that I'd mind trying, but mistakes on a motor like that could be costly! :o

It's the simplicity of the oft described "barbaric", overhead valve, pushrod'd, gas guzzling V8's, is what makes them so popular here. Just about anyone can work on them, and parts aren't so expensive. And they can make lots of power, and lots of torque too, when built right.

Doesn't sound like we're too different after all, other than the 'style' of cars you prefer - sporty coupes vs. my affinity to 'muscle cars'.

I've gotten my car set up so that it's very predictable through the curves, and yes, a full power four wheel drift can be quite exhilarating! :D

Dean

Kuk Sool Won

Having a powerful engine is a cultural thing here in the states. And it really started in the streets of Detroit, like Woodward Avenue, back in the 1950s and 1960s. The Big Three didn't want anyone to have the edge in performance no matter if it was on the streets or on the race track. The engineers would try out new drivetrain combinations on long stretches of roads in the Motor City by racing from garage to garage, tuning their powerplants to the max in these secret hideouts. It wasn't for pure pleasure, it was business. They still try to outperform each other, but it's evolved into areas of handling and engine management as much as how many cubic inches are stuffed under the hood. And since gasoline is still relatively cheap here the public will continue to want large displacement engines.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

ZR440, sorry for the late reply to your question, re: programming chips. I must have missed that one earlier.

I don't have a chip programmer, the programming in my car is stored in flash memory in the PCM, so I'm able to just download new parameters. In fact, the tool I use is specific to the motor in my car. (GM LS1/LS6 engines) It's called "LS1 Edit".

I use a different tool for scanning during run time ("AutoTap"), but it doesn't have the ability to program.

So, sorry, can't help with your re-program efforts. :(

Dean

Kuk Sool Won

• 4 weeks later...

I'm rockin' a Black 1996 2 Door Honda Civic...manual transmission of course because automatics are for wussies and soccer moms! Anyway its in great condition and zero rust! i waxed it today and it looks sweet!

I love my ride...she has been good to me. A lot of people hate civics because of the classic stereotype of guys the drive civics but you know what? I'm riding! I dont use the bus, or a bicycle....