Saving Private Ryan

The Shawshank Redemption

The Grudge

Braveheart

The Best of the Best

Wargames

Lethal Weapon

Gladiator

There are no inns on the highway to death. For whose house will I stay in tonite?

Prince Otsu, Japan 751 AD

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Grudge

Has anyone seen the original version of this film (known as Ju-on)?

If so, what do you think about the differences between the old and the new (the one with Sarah Michelle Gellar in it)?

Personally I preferred the older version. However, I'm not sure whether that's because I thought Ju-On was a better film, or whether its just because I dislike SMG so much... :P

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

i've got ju-on on a vcd somewhere.

i remember being very bored by it but deciding to stick it out due to um, quite an attractive girl in it.

c'mon, you can't say the old one made any sense.

i think the best bit was when the dad saw his 'future' daughter and the daughter saw her 'dead' dad.

although this bit really confused a friend of mine who was and still is totally un-used to japanese film/fantasy.....

i think dark water was slightly better as a film, although very predictable.

well, it had me out in hk searching high and low for one of those bags......

nothing beats the ring in terms of 'modern' japanese horror.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

yeah, but that dosen't make it very good :wink: i saw ringu not to long ago, such a random movie...

that said, i've been in a pretty big napolean dynamite funk lately. certainly not for everyone, but i thought it was hilarious.

""I'm Rex, founder of the Rex Kwan Do self-defense system! After one week with me in my dojo, you'll be prepared to defend yourself with the strength of a grizzly, the reflexes of a puma, and the wisdom of a man. At Rex Kwan Do, we use the buddy system. No more flying solo. You need somebody watching your back at all times. Second off, you're gonna learn to discipline your image. You think I got where I am today because I dressed like Peter Pan over here?Take a look at what I'm wearing, people. You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it. Last off, my students will learn about self respect. You think anybody thinks I'm a failure because I go home to Starla at night? Forget about it! "

:brow:

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

....well, the ring has it's moments.

again, it's highly predictable and the structure is a bit off but then i think that's the manga culture influence.

but then, we're talking about horror.

what's the last good horror film you've seen?

pah.... the best 'film' with martial arts in it has got to be "damn 3"

who could forget:

"la la la la la.... la cherie amore, lovely as a summer day....."

ahem....

have you gotten round to seeing fireflies yet?

my cousins' just got back from hk and i've yet to see what lovely japanese dvds they've bought back.

last time it was the "tomei" series; not brilliant and rather funny for all the wrong reasons.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

um, i think ringu seemed really random because of some of the stuff they took out for the ring. i mean, all of the sudden the boyfriend can sense spirits? what was that about? ...i guess not all of the sudden, since it was made first and all, but geez! and the soundtrack was so out of place...

as for good horror... i'll get back to you on that...

"oh, and take your shoes off... i'll be right back"

"FINE! GODDAMN IT!"

:brow:

i was just about to sit down with fireflies, actually. took my last final for the semester, so i've got nothing to study for.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

....sorry, i haven't actually seen the american version of the ring so when i make mention of that film, i'm only talking about the original.

also, the thing with the ring is that it deals with japanese mythology with regards to man/demons/ogres etc etc.

a lot of the creepiness is kinda lost if you don't understand it like they do

(and i don't but i'm a good empath... :brow: )

y'know, the whole 'sensing spirits' thing is deep in japanese culture and the whole demon thing is even stronger than it is in chinese culture.

i mean, they have part of their creation myths based on demon worlds and all that and it's all pretty serious.

i have to say, that the chinese versions are um, well, a joke compared to the truely nasty (and yet still quite normal and humane) japanese version of things.

there's a sense that it's all just a series of unfortunate events :brow:

that sadako isn't really a monster and that the real monster is/was the horrible step father/professor.

it's very dracula/frankenstein in terms of the whole story.

or am i reading too much into it....?

anyways.

"awwwww heeeeell no.....!"

"why didn't you kill him, that's what i hired you for?"

"wait a minute, he's a hit man too?"

that little guy, can't act for poo but he can sure move....

ahhhh

how about larry vs lateef

*whack* *pause*

"WTF"

*falls*

pure class.

GF forever!

what's the last good horror film you've seen?

Well, it's not the best horror film I've ever seen, but the last one I watched was Saw. Still good though, IMO.

I also watched Shaun of the Dead last night, but I don't think comedy zombies count... :D

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

man, i second that! i wish they'd hurry up and continue with hero vs. alien!

and as to shaun of the dead... man, what a wonderful movie... but it dosen't come out here until tuesday :( and i'm fresh out of money :( ah well... for christmas, hopefully...

and i saw grave of the fire flies the other night... that's another wonderful movie i suggest y'all take a gander at.