• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

oh no..not more ki

markusan

hey i meant no offence

but too many times have i had people use chinese terms to argue with me not knowing that they don't even know the proper meaning of the terms.

if you were to ask me to explain what 'chi' is i would tell you that it is simple body mechanics and breathing control (which leads to calmness of mind.....)

nothing more.

nothing less.

when your body is wrong you can't punch hard.

when you stand correctly, you instantly punch better.

it is this instant effect that people (used to) find amazing.

i've told of my sifu who can do the famous wing chun stand on one leg and resist push/force, right?

hip out of line, can't re-direct.

hip in the right postition, instant brick wall.

nothing mystical.

nothing 'special'.

i can show you too how do it in five minutes.

after those five minutes you should be able to get into correct position everytime you need to, in an instant.

that is what i have always seen to be the 'mystical'.

to me 'chi' is about learning how the body works best and how to get the most power behind your punch.

in wing chun, this means punching from the ground up(notice my old screen-name here...).

again this is from leung jan.

i've mentioned the story of the two wudang fighters/brothers before.

the internal guy would practice his breathing, posture, structure, stance etc, more (but he doesn't ignore the importance of forms either...)

the external guys practices only forms and loose techniques.

that has always been my basis of internal/external and where my definition of 'chi' comes from, except where i come from we don't talk about things in terms of 'chi'; we have always talked in terms of strength ('lik').

wing chun principles as i have been taught have always been based in terms of 'lik'.

borrow energy, shed energy, dissipate energy, bounce energy, spring energy etc are not about 'chi'.

it is all about 'lik' and different types thereof.

this goes way back to leung jan.....

(i understand that yuen kay shan has nothing to do with leung jan but it gives a frame of reference....)

the thing is, i have never heard of ANY wing chun guy saying anything that even resembles

At higher levels of kung fu training simple contact is all it takes to cause damage.

I like this.....it makes sense and is not "complicated".

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DM´s explanation is ok, except for the part that he implies that I don´t know what I am talking about. :wink: and where he confuses the bodymechanics and and calmness of the mind which connected as they might be with chi development, still are not the same as Chi energy :roll: .

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

...he clearly stated that it was his opinion. if you were to ask him.

Besides, the definition of Chi is an opinion anyway. It's not a fact. Therefore, there's not a static definition. It's an opinion. Some opinions are less popular than others.

I agree with DM's opinion.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

DM´s explanation is ok, except for the part that he implies that I don´t know what I am talking about. :wink: and where he confuses the bodymechanics and and calmness of the mind which connected as they might be with chi development, still are not the same as Chi energy :roll: .

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Chi Development=Mental Concentration to Psych out

Show me a Chi master taking punches to the neck.

I'll show you a guy whom conditioned his neck, and you can visually see.

Also a punch to the neck is not as penetrating as other strikes, and objects for that matter.

Same with that "spear to throat trick"

If is Chi is so master, let me demonstrate on him.

Stop believing and start thinking....

47MartialMan,

The best way to find out about chi is to find an AUTHENTIC Chi Kung teacher and take some classes with him for at least a few months if not years. Discussing chi in a public forum becomes pointless as everyone has differente ideas to what it is based on their own experiences and beliefs.

To experience it is to understand it.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

47MartialMan,

I thought you still had an open book on the subject. :)

Wing Chun Kuen Man

wing chun kuen man

Th best way to find out about chi is to find an AUTHENTIC Chi Kung teacher and take some classes with him for at least a few months if not years. Discussing chi in a public forum becomes pointless as everyone has differente ideas to what it is based on their own experiences and beliefs.

I thought you still had an open book on the subject

Yes, you are right.

So far, everyone that I met and they did these demos, did not convince me. I had proven their methods to be mere tricks from conditoning and staging.

My book is still open until I find such a "master".....

Until then I can still hold some doubt or skepticism.

:) :karate:

You are quiet right. There are a lot of fakes out there in any field, not just martial arts. You need to find the proof yourself and to your personal satisfaction.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

"You need to find the proof yourself and to your personal satisfaction. "

Which is what I keep doing.

You show me one.......

Telling or witnessing a demo is not specific enough.

I'll witness it and try to tear it apart.

I cant say it exists, but for each time I think it does, I see and prove otherwise. Thus, disgusts me further and I keep searching.

So far I have not....so I am not satisfied...

So I keep aproaching it.

So I say it again:

Until then I can still hold some doubt or skepticism.

I keep researching....my book is not closed on it