markusan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man.. ill tell you.. this is all confusing... :-? Theres all these posts on Ki/Chi and hoe people say its real and not real? And i just dont know what to do. I definitly dont believe in the Ki blasts and stuff like that.. But about concentrating and focusing your energy into a martial arts technique to make it a bit stronger...

Mind over matter.....it is just easier to say Chi/Ki...

I have seen, been taught, and found Chi Kung or other Demos to be fake or staged. In certain demos, the body has to be fit-granted. Learning that I was able to get a commoner, with no training to do the same. As I seen each demo, I suggested to Chi demonstrators upon bringing in my own material. To which was always replied “NO”. Seems they were concerned with getting injured which was to prove by using Chi, they could not. Strange? As of earlier during this year, I was talking to members of the Magician's Guild that I am in. A lot of Chi demos are parlor tricks and simple physics.

Of course I still keep researching Chi and look for people to maintain other opinions.

I like to think of chi from the other end. Not that it something we have to develop but rather something that is there and we just have to uncover. Take most animals for instance, pound for pound they are much stronger than us. I think part of the reason for this is that their mind isn't constantly giving them reasons or excuses to hold back.

I have seen many students become stronger not only by becoming physically stronger but be shedding inhibitions, gaining confidence and developing controlled aggression. I think it's our minds that hold us back and the more we clear them and release our hangups the more we can focus our energies on one technique or movement, uninhibited. That's what practice is about, making the movement automatic, removing the thought process that hold back or adulterate the move. The power that can be developed by only expending energy on the one movement then can seem super human...well normal inhibited human that is.

I look at ki as a quality rather than an energy flow. I think meditation helps develop it by clearing the mind distractions and mental inhibitions we accumulate through our lives.

Sorry, in 30 years of training, including with wing chung and chi gung practitioners, I haven't ever been affected by a remote strike that I know of so I can't believe it yet.

I like to think of chi from the other end. Not that it something we have to develop but rather something that is there and we just have to uncover. Take most animals for instance, pound for pound they are much stronger than us. I think part of the reason for this is that their mind isn't constantly giving them reasons or excuses to hold back.

I have seen many students become stronger not only by becoming physically stronger but be shedding inhibitions, gaining confidence and developing controlled aggression. I think it's our minds that hold us back and the more we clear them and release our hangups the more we can focus our energies on one technique or movement, uninhibited. That's what practice is about, making the movement automatic, removing the thought process that hold back or adulterate the move. The power that can be developed by only expending energy (more like concentration) on the one movement then can seem super human...well normal inhibited human that is. I look at ki as a quality rather than an energy flow. I think meditation helps develop it by clearing the mind distractions and mental inhibitions we accumulate through our lives.

Sorry, in 30 years of training, including with wing chung and chi gung practitioners, I haven't ever been affected by a remote strike that I know of so I can't believe it yet.

My jury is still out on the subject,,,,but I still keep researching

As I seen each demo, I suggested to Chi demonstrators upon bringing in my own material. To which was always replied “NO”. Seems they were concerned with getting injured which was to prove by using Chi, they could not. Strange?

I don't understand these sentances.

A lot of Chi demos are parlor tricks and simple physics.

Yes. There are a lot of Chi demonstrations which are mechanical. There are a lot which anyone can do with just instruction. There are a lot which are downright staged. It's a term with a lot of hocus-pocus and mumbo-jumbo... and more than a few charlatains.

As I seen each demo, I suggested to Chi demonstrators upon bringing in my own material. To which was always replied “NO”. Seems they were concerned with getting injured which was to prove by using Chi, they could not. Strange?

I don't understand these sentances.

A lot of Chi demos are parlor tricks and simple physics.

Yes. There are a lot of Chi demonstrations which are mechanical. There are a lot which anyone can do with just instruction. There are a lot which are downright staged. It's a term with a lot of hocus-pocus and mumbo-jumbo... and more than a few charlatains.

When I became aware there was going to be a demo, and what the demonstrator was going to do, I brought material to see if they can perform their "technique" on it. I was turned down each time. To which a person (anon-martial artist) that was with me, was nearby "side-stage" and overheard the demonstrator and assitants) discuss the possibilities of injury from my suggestion.

My point, if he mastered so much "Chi", then he could have performed the same demo, with my material.

And, this happened in many demos, seminars, and instruction.

Furthermore, I do not "completely" dismiss "Chi", I havent "close-the-book" on it.

My point, if he mastered so much "Chi", then he could have performed the same demo, with my material.

Obviously, without knowing the material invovled, I cannot comment on it.

Furthermore, I do not "completely" dismiss "Chi", I havent "close-the-book" on it.

I don't believe I have claimed that you did... :)

Obviously, without knowing the material invovled, I cannot comment on it.

Palm striking bricks....brought my own....Bottle bursting....brought my own......2x4 wood into his abdoman, I brought a bat...he didn't allow me to strike him in the neck(not with the bat-bat was for his 2x4 in the abdoman gig-if his "Neck Chi" was so good, he should have taken a bat strike in that area anyway)......he turned me down on all. This is one of many demos I had attended over decades. I had documented many more. I am not saying these people did not have any skill, they had conditioned themselves mentally and physically to perform, but it was not from Chi. Their concentration and the physical areas they had developed allowed them to only perform in those areas. They could not perform other demos, that other "performers" did. And vice versa. They all had mastered a specific demo/performance(s).

I don't believe I have claimed that you did... :)

No, you didn't. I enjoy reading your posts. :wink:

....and there we have the difference between someone who knows what he is talking about and someone who does not....

you know, you are probably the first western guy (and for that i mean 'non-chinese' i have heard using a term like marrow-washing and i had no idea that those excercises were taught (assuming we are talking about the same thing here....)

kung fu without chi=not kung fu is utter cack (although if you exchange the word with energy it is more 'true').

do not confuse chi (breath) with chi (energy).

in most cases, when a chinese martial art talks of chi, they are talking about your breathing (or not breathing...) and your state of mind (calm, relaxed, alert, etc etc) which results in better use of energy (although it is not the same as the chi as seen in chi/kung (or is it?)...

whilst these things also feature when talking about chi-kung and chi (energy) they are not the same thing.

then there's chi (energy) although more commonly this is refered to using the word 'lik' meaning 'strength/power/force' (again, not directly translatable)

i really can't explain what i mean using english.....

the terms just do not translate as clearly as you think and the differences are slight but important.

great explanation to me