• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

oh no..not more ki

markusan

hey i meant no offence

but too many times have i had people use chinese terms to argue with me not knowing that they don't even know the proper meaning of the terms.

if you were to ask me to explain what 'chi' is i would tell you that it is simple body mechanics and breathing control (which leads to calmness of mind.....)

nothing more.

nothing less.

when your body is wrong you can't punch hard.

when you stand correctly, you instantly punch better.

it is this instant effect that people (used to) find amazing.

i've told of my sifu who can do the famous wing chun stand on one leg and resist push/force, right?

hip out of line, can't re-direct.

hip in the right postition, instant brick wall.

nothing mystical.

nothing 'special'.

i can show you too how do it in five minutes.

after those five minutes you should be able to get into correct position everytime you need to, in an instant.

that is what i have always seen to be the 'mystical'.

to me 'chi' is about learning how the body works best and how to get the most power behind your punch.

in wing chun, this means punching from the ground up(notice my old screen-name here...).

again this is from leung jan.

i've mentioned the story of the two wudang fighters/brothers before.

the internal guy would practice his breathing, posture, structure, stance etc, more (but he doesn't ignore the importance of forms either...)

the external guys practices only forms and loose techniques.

that has always been my basis of internal/external and where my definition of 'chi' comes from, except where i come from we don't talk about things in terms of 'chi'; we have always talked in terms of strength ('lik').

wing chun principles as i have been taught have always been based in terms of 'lik'.

borrow energy, shed energy, dissipate energy, bounce energy, spring energy etc are not about 'chi'.

it is all about 'lik' and different types thereof.

this goes way back to leung jan.....

(i understand that yuen kay shan has nothing to do with leung jan but it gives a frame of reference....)

the thing is, i have never heard of ANY wing chun guy saying anything that even resembles

At higher levels of kung fu training simple contact is all it takes to cause damage.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that we belong to 2 differente schools of thought when it comes to chi, i.e. your knowledge and perception of what it is, is different to mine and so is what you are taught regarding this "phenomenom". This means there is no point arguing, may we all stay happy in our own realities.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

....just wondering.

on what do you base your ideas of 'chi'?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Druken Monkey,

You would not believe it if I told you.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

I find it humorous that peopel who claim the mystical powers of Ki or Chi always say they saw it, but never have something to show the rest of us.
Actually, after learning qigong healing, I created a double-blind experiment. I got a bunch of "voulenteers" (mostly family members) and asked if they woudl cooperate for an experiment. I asked them to just sit still.

I did a reading, made a note of what I found; then dis work and made notes of what I thought I did and did not accomplish.

Then I asked: "tell me how you felt at the beginning, during, and after" (still having not told them so much as that I was doing healing work).

The results:

With about 8 test subjects there were problems I missed, though I was generally pretty through; the usually felt me working in the areas I was actually working in (I was behind them, so they could not actually see). Most interesting of all, though I always found at least one problem area i neach voulenteer, I never found a false one. If I thought something was wrong with their left shoulder, they would inevitably tell me that their left shoulder had a problem that day.

Many traditional masters claim the ability to cure ailments without making contact and sometimes through long distance. I personally have not experienced or seen the long range type of healing - but I am not about to call it mambo jambo either.
I very much did call it mumbo-jumbo... now I've had the opportunity to both perform and recieve it numerous times, and test elements of it (as above)... I no longer do.

By the way Jerry Love, could it be that what you meant was that you can teach the bone marrow washing meditations within minutes but for them to have an actual effect will still take many months if not years of practice (or repetitions)?

I can teach someone how to do a single meditation in a very short time. The effects of a meditation (such as the changing of bone rigidity in marrow washing) take far longer to occur. Similarly, I could teach someone a bicept curl (weightlifting) in a minute or two, but they will have to do it for a while for bigger arms.

Also worth noting, as with any meditation, your experience and benifit changes form it as your skill at working your energy improves. What a person who'se been doing a meditaiton for years derives from it is more than what someone I've just shown it to gets... but both do get something.

JerryLove,

Thank you for answering my question about the meditation exercises.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

• 1 month later...

The mind also controls the Chi. :wink:

Wing Chun Kuen Man