• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good choice for a first time weapons weilder?

Hi. In my dojo, you start getting (minor) weapons training when you earn a green belt, which I just did last week.

I have a choice between the nunchaku, bo, or katana. I am seeking advice on which to choose.

I don't have a particular preference, but being a practical person, I'd like to spend my training time on something I might actually need to use one day. This pretty much eliminates the katana, as I'll never ever weild one in a real fight.

So, nunchaku or bo. Which is more "sensible." Which is more dangerous (to both the weilder and defender)? Which is easier to learn to use properly?

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Start with the bo, not only is it safer, but it will help condition the wrists, forearms and shoulder muscles you will need for further weapons training

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

I agree, the bo is an excellent first choice.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

gonna' have to say the bo on this one. though don't discount the sword just cuz you wont have one handy; the techniques are easily applied on a baseball bat, shorter sticks, lengths of pipe... you know, whatever.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

Do the bo!!! The katana is friggin' awesome, of course, and it should be fun to learn, but you can wait on it. Do the bo now and get comfortable weilding 6ft sticks. rock!

Yeah I am gonna have to agree with everyone else on this one. eventhough the katana is by far the coolest and most deadly, virtually every other weapon can be based in some way around the bo. it just makes sense to start off with it. and of course it is very practical as well.

...nunchaku, bo, or katana. ...being a practical person, I'd like to spend my training time on something I might actually need to use one day. This pretty much eliminates the katana, as I'll never ever weild one in a real fight.

Bo is probably the best choice for a first weapon to study. But don't discount the practicality of the Katana. I don't study this weapon, but I have seen JMA practicioners demonstrate the relationship of the moves with a sword and some empty hands techniques. One in particular demonstrated introducing internal principles to karate and jiu-jitsu using a boken, then transfering the principles to empty hands recieving and throws. It was pretty impressive.

Freedom isn't free!