• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Korean Kicking Kata

i recently went back to the states for a visit and stopped by and spent a class with my old blackbelts that are still there....after going through the various katas, we got up to a kata that no one there could tell me about, since the two head instructors weren't there....the name of it was the korean kicking kata...i am guessing that it is up in the fourth degree range or higher....just curious if anyone has info on it that they can share....

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

it was a moodukwon taekwondo school that i attended....whether or not that is where the kata originated from i dont know.

our style kata list is as follows:

the three basic katas: basic forms

5 pinan, heian, pynahn (spellings vary per school)

basai

3 nihanchi, nihinge, tekki(spelling vary again)

then the korean kicking kata(??????????)

my style as you can see has a strong influence in the tangsoodo and karate style katas or forms...but i have not gotten a translation if there is one of this specific kata as to whether it is korean or a japanese form or something altogether different

Never heard of it. Could have been a form created by the school owner or a regional master....

There's a video of Grandmaster Pak doing a form at a tournament in 1986 that has a lot of kicks and dynamic tension type moves... i dunno if that is it though.

http://www.greatwarriorpak.com/events/videolibrary.htm

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

My first inclination is to think that if it is called a "Kata", then it is probably either a Japanese creation, or like tommarker said, created by a school owner or regional master, and not a traditional Korean form.

Korean forms are called "Hyung", and from what I've seen of the very nationalistic attitudes between Korea and Japan, official Korean forms would never be called "Katas".

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

Probably someone made that form up recently or it comes from sport taekwondo somewhere (though I don't know of one that is called, "the Korean kicking kata.")

Especially if they didn't use a Korean title for the form it is probably some new made up form.

MooDukwon would practice the same karate forms you mention.

as a reply back to DLopez: my school isn't big on the terminology, so the actual term of kata means the same as forms, shadow boxing , hyung or anything else, we just use the term kata there....

In response to rmclain: my school is not big on the sport katas or forms....we are not big into tournaments and spend most of our time training for street survival situations, so in that aspect i would have to say that I dont see my school as having that form for a sole purpose of being a sport based form .....if that makes any sense

chen,

all i can tell you is that there is nothing in the traditional MDK curriculum that I would consider to be a "kicking" intensive form.

it must be a local thing, which doesn't necessarily detract from its value alone.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

well i thank you all for helping me out, I have 17 months before i leave japan, maybe then i can run into one of the two instructors that i know who know about it and learn it then...unless i happen across it somewhere.....but it doesn't look like that will happen, well thanks again for your help