• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you guys feel about the "certifying" bodies

I know that I for one am a huge skeptic. I have been in the MA a long time. 26 years and counting. But aside from a few organizations, most just seem to squabble over petty credentials and money. How do you guys feel about the need for them?

If my survival means your total destruction, then so be it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I use to never give it any thought, until I realized that if ever asked about my credentials by parents, or students, I had no where for them to checkout my background. In some cases it has mattered, and in others it did not matter. But it dosen't hurt to have a place for them to contact to check out my credentials if it'll make them feel better about their decision to learn from me.

Not all organizations that certify their instructors operate in the same manner, and this is where it comes down to you in terms of what your expectations are with any particular outfit. To this date, I have been with my current organization, and have not had any issues with $$ or rank status. So for me, being part of a certifying organization is fine. I also know that when I feel we are not on the same level, then I can simply walk away.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

The more I have looked into it, and the more history i have read, it seems like certyfing bodies are a good thing.

The problem is that there is alot of egos in the martial arts world.

Too many Black Belts of different systems have chosen to break off from their instructors and start rival affiliations, and change their curriculum, and in essence create an entirely new style.

I do think that a main stream certifying body would be a great thing..

Especially in areas that are saturated with martial arts schools and clubs like California.

It seems everyone in California forms schools.

I think that poor instructors, or instructors that promote themselves on whims and then leave a bad taste in peoples mouths are only hurting the community as a whole.

/shrug

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, being a certified instructor is somewhat important. I find that being displaying ceritficates of your ranking may just be more important. If I was a parent or a student, I would be impressed seeing a certificate of rank such as 4th degree black.

• 2 weeks later...

I would have to say it does give you some help in covering your butt in case of a law-suit, but I think IMHO that 9 out of 10 are givimg you a "certified" piece of crap.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

I believe the intent is oftentimes misguided. Organizations should be created to both unite and to provide standards. Unfortunately, as LuckyBoxer stated, there are too many egos, both in and out of the organizing body.

At present, many organizing bodies focus on making money, on protecting themselves from liability (competition details, etc), and on keeping their 'views' on the system clean. Such an approach only fosters ill-will, rivalry, and an eventual breakdown of standards.

What 'should' be happening, is that an organization should 'foster' new approaches and even provide credentials to those who create a new system out of the existing art ("Lucky's System Shorin-Ryu," or some such other), both validating their new approach and keeping practitioners united to a common goal, which is to share and grow as a community.

Both the Kodokan and the families of Aikido practice the below stated principles. Both have become models of unity.

One more thought. Part of the problem with many organizations, is that they were created 'too late.' A system has spread through an area, lost a degree of cohesiveness, and splintered into a multitude of mcdojos... and then someone says, "gee, we should create an organization to bring us all together." Oop, too late. It becomes an uphill battle, against a thousand egos and a hundred misguided miscreants.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

If they are legit then I think you need to belong to one. However if you don't it really don't matter. I think if your going to teach it gives your students a sense of this guy knows his stuff but you may do that reguardless.

IMO its a personal thing. I joined the FSKA 2 years ago and it has not changed my teaching style any but I do feel better now that I have a major org. over me.

I guess its a personal thing.

(Most are money deals however)

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• 1 month later...
I use to never give it any thought, until I realized that if ever asked about my credentials by parents, or students, I had no where for them to checkout my background. In some cases it has mattered, and in others it did not matter. But it dosen't hurt to have a place for them to contact to check out my credentials if it'll make them feel better about their decision to learn from me..

Why didn't you have a way or place to check your credentials?

Or did you?