• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju Ryu

Joecooke007

Well i guess the main differece between the shi-to ryu version of the naha kata and the goju ryu version of naha kata ,is the we do the breating just not as heavy as in goju .everything is still tense and you should still be able to take a punch in the gut with out to much discomfort. in the goju version of sanchin they also use dynamic tension where the arms, stomuch , legs everything is tight , on the exhails as well as the inhails that is the diffacult part it is a very hard kata to master even though the paterrn and techniques are fairly simple.

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I was in Korea, many years ago, one of the guys would regularly stand up from his rack and do more than just stretch. He would kind of move forwards and backwards down the isle in kind of an odd way. And breathe kind of funny while doing it.

I now realize what he was doing was sanchin. That was his way to keep the blood moving and get in a bit of practice at the same time.

If I had only know then. I wish I had gotten interested in the martial arts much younger and earlier than I did.

Go Ju Ryu, San Chin, we do tighten arms legs and stomach up for a punch when we exhale. But when we inhale is when we have a moment to relax our body. While we are doing San Chin, our sensi will come around and kick our legs and slap our arms as well as punch to the stomach to make sure our stance is right and our bodies are tight.

"Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die tomorrow." ~Unkown

from what ive seen most goju ryu do the sanchin kata with closed fist . However in Uechi ryu they do it with open hands . there are a few kata that are done wiht open hands like shisochin , seiuchin , and im sure there are others that im missing right at the moment .

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

I took a careful look at a detailed description of sanchin. I think although it looks easy to learn it has to be one of those deceptive katas.

The kind that you don't really begin to appreciate until you have done it many thousands of times.

I think I am going to start working with this kata.

Sancin realy is, as SaiFightsMS said, is a deceptive Kata I have found that I can do the patern for the most part, However I think it will take a long time before I truly appreciate it :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: Kato on 2001-12-28 15:01 ]