• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In what way have you changed(positively) your character?

Jade

Ripper,

...........The acquisition of martial/fighting abilities and SPIRIT that improve their odds of survival, gives many martial artists a type of self confidence that one does not get playing badmington, tennis etc. That is a fact. This a major factor in personal improvement that is only achieved in MA training. ..........

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Thanks for that response WCKM. You are honestly trying to come up with a basis. That's what I'm looking for, Jade.

You started off very good WCKM, but then I tripped over "That is a fact". In what way is this a fact? To me a fact is something that is scientifically proved. Do you have that? Maybe a scientific article or something like that?

René

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you can find plenty of psychologists or studies that will "prove" so. But, you know ripper, you can't depend on scientific studies to believe that something is true.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

I agree the use of, "this is a fact" stands as a kludge in his arguments, but i believe he may have done this merely to not have to go into detailing what those differences are.

I think most, if not all, of us can agree that fear significantly and negatively impacts such things as self-confidence and security. I think we can all agree that fears generally surround those things we do not know, but which nonetheless pose a threat. I.e., fear of the unknown. Unlike tennis, badminton, baseball or ballet, the study of martial arts directly confronts these unknown threats. The study on how to deal with fundamental threats to one's livelihood, which tennis, badminton, baseball and ballet simply do not address, can give you a better degree of self confidence.

Also, in studying the martial arts, you slowly obtain a higher understanding of why people become hostile, commit to violence, or react in ways that would otherwise seem irrational. The more indepth you get into the martial arts, the better an understanding you obtain in these areas. This, in and of itself, can boost self-confidence. But combined with knowing 'how' to react... that's a big boost.

Knowing yourself is fine. Knowing your enemy, great... but together, a gem.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Well put White Warlock and The Devil Aside.

Ripper, sometimes in life we have to depend on our logic which is based on our experiences. As far as I know, there have never been experiments to prove wether or not badmington, tenis,etc, players have martial self confidence because I assume that the answer is evident. The bottom line is that martial arts deal with hitting other human beings to a point where they stop being a physical threat to you or your loved ones, using abilities to possibly maim or kill your adversary. This involves a deeper level of confidence touching on our primitive instincts and fears. Most CAPABLE martial artists will have martial selfconfidence or spirit, which is directly related to their martial arts practice. Where as most capable tenis and badmington etc. players will have fighting spirit of a different kind on the playing field/court etc. Even in general life, these sports men/women may carry themselves confidently because of their achievements in their chosen sport. But, the bottom line for them is the fact that they can defeat a lot of people lets say in badmington, whereas a martial artist´s confidence is based on the fact that they can fight their way out a life threatenning situation if they need to. VERY DIFFERENT. I would describe martial confidence as "deep", it reflects in the body language, there is a different feel, the eyes are different and so on. If you cross paths with warrior or a sportsman you will definitely feel the difference in the vibes that they give out.

Anyway, I hope that I made my point clearer.

Until later,

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

Ripper....you're going on with your discussion...if you find that MA did not change you or is not because Karate that someone change positively...then why you still go on? You already said your point of view...why are you tring to change other people mind?

As you said it yourself; we are just discussing each others point of views.

I am not trying to change other peoples minds; I am just trying to clarify my point of view.

Why do you ask this? Do you want me to shut up because I have another point of view?

Shut up because of your point of view? :-? No...i was not saing that...probably i meant it regardless how you often say..."Jade said that"..."Jade stated something not proved..."...it looks like you're accusing me for certain comments...

And now...since we are serious people...i say...let's shut up(BOTH) with this discussion of our different point of views and back on topic please. ;)

"With a bit of imagination, kata can be deadly." - Hidy Ochiai

I've thought of something that MA has changed, despite what I said

earlier.

It's motivated me to start running regularly, because I wanted to improve

fitness for classes. I ran before, but it was sporadic. I actually look

forward to my runs now. It's superseded my original aim and become an

end in itself.

Does that qualify?

Regards,

Bart the Lover

Well, IMHO MA can bring about internal change. if you want it to. Focus, training, self discipline, self respect and respect for others, humility and control all have their part to play. But how do you measure these things? How do you know its MA that changed you and not other factors in your life? If you've doing it for a long time, do you remember what you were like before you started. All imponderables.

It's also true that lots of things (sport and otherwise) can change you, depending on how you respond to them. We all grow and change as time goes on.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

I've thought of something that MA has changed, despite what I said

earlier.

It's motivated me to start running regularly, because I wanted to improve

fitness for classes. I ran before, but it was sporadic. I actually look

forward to my runs now. It's superseded my original aim and become an

end in itself.

Well, I quote someone else now (thank you, Fish), who is saying the same as I am all along:

How do you know its MA that changed you and not other factors in your life?

I've done exactly the same as you Bart. I runned sporadically too but now I finally do it regularly and I am looking forward to it also. Karate was always a constant factor in between. So for me it was not due to karate. AFAIK it's because I finally got rid of a very busy job and now have the time to do it regularly. That was the most important change in my life while other factors stayed pretty much the same (including karate).

So if your change in life was starting a MA and after that you started to run regularly, then yes it could qualify. Otherwise.....

René

And to not to be the one who is always nagging.........

I agree mostly on what WW and WCKM are saying. I only missed an important point (if not the most important point); the person who is doing the MA. You can train all you want, but a "sissy" will never become a "warrior" (I'm talking metaphorical). It might, however, help a bit in the good direction.

René