• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WESTERN martial arts teacher in JAPAN

Hi!!

I'm begginer here... It's my first post.

I have a question, Can you help me?

Who was the first WESTERN Martial Arts Teacher to open a dojo/school... in JAPAN ???

And...in China??

Thanks!!

See you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, first off let me welcome you to the forums. You should go to the intro section and tell us a little about yourself.

I found this about Donn Draeger saying he was the first Westerner to open a MA school in Japan. Not sure how accurate it is. I'm sure there is others that claim the same. It does look like he was the first in many competitions held Japan. Try a google search with his name and see what comes up. Hope this helps! :karate:

"Donn Draeger, an American martial arts pioneer and some say the model for the character frequently portrayed by Steven Seagal, was an ex-Marine who lived in Japan and studied the Way of the Empty Hand for many years following WWII. He was the first Westerner to open a martial arts school in Japan, a testament to his skill and dedication. But, even that decade of difficult and often brutal training in the Japanese version of the Shaolin Temple, the Dojo, to earn respect and gain ability is more than most people are willing to endure. "

From ashidakim.com

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

Well actually Steven Segal did not open an Aikido Dojo in Japan. The dojo was already owned by a Japanese woman as non Japanese people were not allowed to own property in Japan at that time. He married her took the dojo from her and left her. Then later moved back to the United states.

Long Live the Fighters!