• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Preparing for a grading

What do you do in the days, and hours leading up to a grading, such that you are in top condition for the grading?

Any unusual sleep paterns?

Any special dietary considerations?

Any superstitions?

Purple Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

just go to class, make sure you know your moves. eat well, sleep plenty, and there you go.

I like to wear the shirt i wore to my first class.

I take a bubble bath first.then

1- I practice bunkai

2- I choose a set of techniques that I am going to use against hand and foot works all include going into the opponent body straight or 45 degree

3- I normally focus on 2 katas one is my backup plan

4- I avoid doing the katas with Kukutsu dachi voluntarily when I have even small leg or ankle injuries

5- I go early for warm up

6- do not forget these: good posture, breathing, keep the fingers together, in most of karate styles as I know a move start with a look ,

A complete , correct “rei” before starting is important to your sensei.

7- most of the time if we don’t pay attention to steps a kata ends up behind of starting point, like pinan shodan (heian Nidan) or Sandan, I normally do the correction by a smaller kiba dachi, wider zenkutsu dachi, a short hidden half step in nekoashi dachi,

8-if you are 6th then shoot for 4th kyu.

good luck to all of us in next test.

I just got tested yesterdag for my first belt, after training for 6 months.

The days before the test I just rested plenty and I would pratice my drills. And just before I have to take the test I let all the moves run a last time through my mind.

Try to stay calm, cause everything is in your mind

:: Bless me father, for I have just killed quite a few men ::

https://www.tricking.be

Our Sensei has us go through a mock grading while recording it. However there is a slight differnce. While the examiner asks that we perform 3-4 techniques, we are asked for double or triple that. So if the examiner is asking for 3 chudan-level punches while moving forward, we do 6; then from another angle. This prepares us for the examination a little better, IMO.

Afterward we get to watch the recording where we painstakingly go over the techniques. The use of constructive criticism and coaching at this point is invaluble since you can see where you've been going wrong. We do this recording every two weeks in the two months leading up to the examination, so we get to see our progress. This, mixed with the practicing of the bunkai, drills, and a lot of kata practice seem to make a great mix.

No superstitions but each time I've gone to a grading in another province I've gotten lost...LOL

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I just got tested yesterday for my first belt, after training for 6 months.

Draven, how did you do with your belt test? I hope it went well for you!

I don't particularly do anything special before a grading - just make sure I know my stuff. Not that I have to worry about gradings for a while, anyway - I only got promoted to 1st Dan last December, so 2nd Dan is a looooong way away yet!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!