Ant

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not go to class before my last grading. I wanted to have full energy for the test, as some of the techniques we have to go through are quite arduous and tiresome. :karate:

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).

I have but that guy was drunk :)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Do you get different levels of pass at your club, Ant? For example, we can get either a first class, a 2nd, 3rd or provisional pass (they have to prove in the next month that they're up to standard in order to keep the grade). IMHO its a good idea because instead of focussing on skipping kyu grades, I concentrate on getting the best possible mark for that kyu level. I might be wrong, but I get the feeling you're trying to rush though the grades - remember to give yourself time to consolidate your techniques.

Anyway, I'd definitely take the class before the grading if I were you - it shows that you're really determined to improve and do the best you can. At my club, the training sesh before the gradings actually count towards your final mark - the coachs are always telling us ' you start your grading the moment you walk into the dojo'. Even if its not the case with your club, it shows that you are dedicated.

I'll stop waffling now because my sister is going to drag me on a long run :roll:

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals . . . except the weasel."

- Homer J Simpson

To be honest as I said in another thread I'll be glad to get any belt other than the one I've got because it doesn't fit me :)

I think I am good enough to get to 8th kyu and as such think that is what I should achieve in my grading. If on the day I only perform to 9th kyu level then it's obvious that I only deserve that etc etc.

As long as I can get rid of this ridiculous belt I'll be over the moon :)

Ant, there is no ridiculous belt. Look at your progress and stop being biased :) I was proud even when an ungraded white belt. I was kinda good between fellow whites and I didn't feel ridiculous.

And skipping belts shouldn't be your goal. Your goal is to improve, first in comparison with yourself, then comparing to the others, to learn and surpass all problems and difficulties.

Ranks are OK, but don't focus on the colour of the belt. It means nothing. If you are bored with your current belt, buy another, brown or black to make you happy. :D I can tell you it would't make you feel better, but you could try. Hang it in your room and plan to work your ..tt to really deserve the colour :karate:

Anyway ... good luck in your way to perfection. Keep us posted

You misunderstand.

The belt is ridiculous because it doesn't fit me. It is so short that I am unable to tie it correctly and is embarrasing.

Yesterday I went and bought a nice new one that fits me so I have one less reason to worry about grading.

The is another reason I'd like to progress through the rank. I find it very hard to hear my Sensei from the back of the dojo :)