• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training in T-shirts not Gi tops

renketsu

I've only just started karate (a week ago) and as such i don't have a gi, but i can't see that being a problem as the martial arts room where it is held is quite large with nice air conditioning, i'd be more worried about cold feet on the floor :)

The instructor basically said "don't bother getting a gi yet until you're sure you like it"

I'm kinda goth/rocker so i'm tempted to go for a black gi if its not against any rules etc. (I just like wearing black, white is so distracting, i don't "see" the black out of the bottom of my eyes.)

Edit:

BTW - First post, hi everybody.

Some dojos have rules against wearing black gi's unless your a black belt. Because if that wasn't the case, I would have gotten a black one when I started.

And welcome to the board. :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kinda goth/rocker so i'm tempted to go for a black gi if its not against any rules etc. (I just like wearing black, white is so distracting, i don't "see" the black out of the bottom of my eyes.)

It depends. Most traditional Okinawan or Japanese styles have a pretty strict dress code - white do-gi is an only option. In some kobudo styles (or karate styles that have kobudo as an integral part of their curriculum) they might wear black jackets with white pants. However, that isn't very common.

My general rule of thumb: More coloured do-gi, more patches in it => worse the school. The closer you get to a simple white do-gi and one or no patches, the better stuff you usually get.

And don't worry - goths can wear white as well. :) I wear mostly black and grey outside the dojo and still am comfortable in my white do-gi. It just takes a time to adjust. (I'm not a goth, but I prefer darker colours).

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

The trouble with lightweight gi tops is that they have a tendancy to tear easily.

I find that they also come open quite a lot, which is a bit embarassing as a woman. To stop that happening you have to wear something underneath, which makes you just as hot as wearing a heavier weight gi. :-/

I hear ya, aefibird, but I have to say that I don't really care about the top coming open thing any more. I used to wear a shirt under my gi top at my old dojo, but have stopped doing this quite a few years ago now. The guys' gis constantly come undone, showing their chests, and since I have to deal with seeing their hairy chests :o they will just have to deal with seeing my sports bra every now and then. I reveal more at the beach, that's for sure. It's just too hot to wear a heavy gi or an undershirt in the summer.

As for the tearing, we don't do a lot of grappling, but if we do and I know about it in advance I just wear a heavy gi. For teaching I always wear at least a medium weight gi.. something about a proper appearance, I guess. :karate:

It is a requirement at my dojo that all females wear a T-Shirt or vest (white) under their gis. I think it's probably so that the male instructors cannot be accused of any improprieties... especially with the children.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

I prefer a gi for Kata but my school is pretty lax during the summer

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

I dont see nothing wrong with that. Sometimes we train with gi tops another time without, and for various reasons such as weather, realistic training you name it. Even in a stricted environment as long as everyone is the same it should be allowed, if it is considered uniformed (everyone the same) then it should even be accepted in a strict school. Those are my thoughts I run an intense program but in a relaxed environment as far as being really stricted on certian issues that you might find in other schools.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!