• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training in T-shirts not Gi tops

renketsu

no. wear your gi top during the summer. it will be very hot, but if you can stand it it will make mentally tougher

Mentally, but how about financially? :D

I sweat a lot during summer classes and that means my gi top has got to "deal" with it. It cost me my wage for a month to purchase it and to buy another is out of the question at least for 2-3 years. So I have to take care of it and I hate to see it stained with the sweat. So I better work out with a T-shirt which is way cheaper. Though I really love wearing my entire outfit.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just open the front a bit and vent the heat.

It's ok for guys - you can do that without flashing at the rest of the dojo!

Spare a thought for us females who have to wear a huge sports bra or t-shirt under our gi's to preserve our modesty! :o :lol:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

:) I can't stand the t-shirt underneath my gi, it wraps around the body like an octopus :D. I just wear a sports bra and when it gets hot - well - I discreetly do the venting thing.

Ramymensa: Isn't gi supposed to get wet and sweaty in the first place? Plus, sweat is really easy to wash out, so you shouldn't worry about staining it.

Otherwise, our sensei doesn't allow t-shirts instead of gi-tops, so we're sweating extensively during the summer. But I honestly don't mind. It makes you tougher. Altough the idea to train kata without the tops - to see the breathing sounds great.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

my classes are very casual. it's not held at an actual dojo...it's held in a theater, and is a brach of the local dojo. so, our classes are fairly informal. gi's are welcome, but not necessary. i almost always wear a blank white t-shirt and a pair of black workout pants, with my karate belt, of course. when i goto the actual dojo, however, everyone MUST wear a gi.

were never allowed to train in anything but gi's.

i dont mind though, i like dogi's.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Different schools i've studied at had different requirements. However, the standard judo gi has been argued as the best clothing to wear for practice, because it is less likely you will entangle fingers or thumbs in it and it is not likely that it will tear and cause an unexpected fall or result in an awkward, potentially deadly performance of a technique.

All in all, t-shirts tear easily, stretch and trap fingers, and really... kinda looks good when a woman sweats in them (slaps self, so the women here don't have to).

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

At my dojo we are allowed to wear T-shirts during the summer. It's navy blue with the logo on it. And I love the fact that we are allowed too. The dojo isn't air conditioned and there are no open-able(if that's a word) windows. All we can do is leave the door open. So yea. I think the T-shirts are great.