• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training in T-shirts not Gi tops

renketsu

I mentioned this in another thread but I will expand on it here...

I am wondering if anyone has ever trained at a club where the gi top is not worn during the summer months and a white T-shirt (possibly with a club logo) is worn instead (not just for self defense training nights).

Obviously this would not work for lessons where there is a lot of throwing/grabbing techniques - hence why we have Gis (adapted from the Judo Gi for that reason).

The dojo I use is not air conditioned (its in a UK school) and can get very hot which would make a T-shirt more applicable during summer months.

Before anyone says I am considering doing this for the cash... thats not even a consideration :P The T-shirts if they were embroidered with the club logo would be as cheap as possible.

Am I being a heretic who should be burned at the stake for thinking about going against the norm - or is this a reasonable idea? :karate:

Andy.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as my history goes, the Gi was a commercial response to the Japanese and Okinawans practicing in their underwear. So long as people are smart and look after their personal hygiene, why shold it matter! :P

My current school would never consider it! However, my old school would frequently have "t-shirt week" during the summer months. Any martial arts t-shirt could be worn.

Personally, I see value in both ways.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

During formal class time we wear our Doji tops always. On our Thursday night class for the tournement fighters, we are not required to wear our Doji tops. When we do any sort of water training we do not have to wear our Doji tops as well, but belts are worn.

In Okinawa, when it got really hot the gi tops came off all together. Especially when doing Sanchin. It was necessary to see proper breathing and muscle tension not to mention people passing out was less of a concern. In Okinawan heat sweat sticks to you like gum, it's a bit different then here in Boise, ID. Anyway, I don't see a problem with t-shirts. The value of a class is represented by what's underneath them. You cannot judge an art based on what is being worn. That should be one of the first things anyone learns about karate.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

My first dojang wore t-shirts during the summer. I loved it :) It had the dojang logo on the back. We wore the bottoms, and our belts. It was much cooler, and allowed for more movement (for me anyways).

Laurie F

We wear normal clothes on a regular basis, but I wish we could wear t-shirts and gi bottoms all the time in the summer. I dislike the Japanese-style gi tops, especially as they always seem to come undone at awkward moments (which can be very embarassing if you're a woman!). I'd prefer it if we wore V-neck tops or Chinese-style suits.

I think it's a great idea and that you certainly shouldn't be burned at the stake for thinking about it ;)

Just as an aside - would your students HAVE to have a t-shirt with the club logo on it or would a plain one do?

If you're looking for an embroidery/screenprinting company then here is the one my dojo used. We got embroidered fleece tops from there, decent quality and reasonable price.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I have a school T-shirt that is part of the uniform. But in those hot summer days, it's gi tops off. If we have to do grabbing techniques, then we just try not to rip the t-shirts off each other :lol:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

As a matter of fact, I think the whole gi is unnecessary -- I don't mind wearing a gi, but I don't feel like I'd be losing anything if I didn't wear it. I'd rather wear shorts and a t-shirt. My only concern would be people looking up my shorts :o while i'm stretching or kicking and seeing my package. that'd be embarrasing ...