• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Originally, Muay Thai was very brutal, even deadly. There were no weight categories, and few rules. There was also no padding or protection. Fighters wrapped their hands in either strips of horse hide or hemp rope to protect their hands and cause their opponent maximum damage. If both fighters agreed, they would sometimes dip their hands in a type of glue and then dip their hands in broken glass to cause severe cuts and bleeding during the fight. Fighters would wrap their ankles with cotton wrap and either wear coconut shells or triangular pillows for groin protection. In those days, many fighters died in the ring, especially from knees and elbows.

Probably the most famous Thai fighter of all time is Nai Khanom Dtom. During the many wars with Burma, Muay Thai fights were still being held and Nai Khanom Dtom was known as the greatest fighter in all of Siam, the previous name of Thailand. The Burmese had heard of how great this fighter was so they captured him to pit him against 12 of Burma's greatest fighters. If he could defeat all 12, he would be allowed to go free. The day of the fight came and a stadium was filled with Burmese people all wanting to see the death of this Siamese fighter. The first fighter came out and was instantly killed by Nai Khanom Dtom's lethal elbows and knees. The next fighter came out and met the same fate. One by one each fighter came out and fought ferociously to their death. As the day wore on, nine fighters had been killed at the bare hands of Nai Khanom Dtom, but something strange had begun to happen. As the Burmese people watched this fighter struggle against the odds and battle each fighter without rest, they soon found themselves cheering for their enemy, Nai Khanom Dtom. At the end of the day, Nai Khanom Dtom stood among twelve lifeless bodies in the middle of the stadium. The crowd cheered and the King of Burma had no choice but to set him free. To this day Thai boxers dedicate on night each year to the memory of Nai Khanom Dtom.

Just a tid bit of History for you Muay Thai buffs who may not have heard the story before.

Pain is temporary, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars!

-=pain is weakness leaving the body=-

If there's lead in the air, there is hope in the heart!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

actually, the glass thing was a rarity. and muay thai was around long before the hemp hands wraps. Along the the muay thai line, dhoi muay - a bare fisted version - preceeded the kaad cheuk that you are referring to. Also, the kaad cheuk had uses other than the glass thing - rough coils of hemp called gon hoi were inserted under the kaad cheuk to cause extra damage. The original intent of them was to add strength to their attacks and to prevent sprains and strains - the same reasons they are used today.

The glass thing is a legend and can't actually be verified. the legends state that they would dip the wraps in either a flour and water paste, tree resin or some other sticky substance, then rolled in gravel, glass, etc. and allowed to dry, so that the materials became firmly embedded in the wraps. There is no direct evidence of this though - it's only legend.

They also say the wraps were an indicator of position in battle. lower level guys, like pawns, used the wraps and only fought bare fisted. The higher level guys that also used swords and spears, did not use the wraps.

muay thai has undergone alot of change since it's inception - muay dhoi, muay lopburi, muay boran, muay pra nakorn, muay chaiya...different names were used depending on the region it was used in and the area it was developed. The muay thai that is widely practiced today is what popped up post 1920, after introduction of the current sport format.

since you mentioned thom, le't's also mention a few others:

queen suriyothai - killed in 1548 when she dressed as a man to aid her husband on the battlefield

somet prachao suer - king who disguised himself as a peasant so that he could fight in the local muay thai tournies without bias.

praya pi-chai dab hal - " count pi-chai with the broken sword" - peasant raised by monks who taught him muay thai. He went on to learn swordsmanship and join the military, killing a burmese general in combat even though his sword had been broken.

muen plaan - in 1788, two frenchmen traveled two thailand to travel local thai fighters. the frenchmen had beaten several boxers along the indochina penninsula, so the king sent one of his highly skilled royal guards to accept the challenge. The thai fighter began to beat one of the frenchmen, at which point the other joined in. the guard held both of them at bay, until several minutes later, when other thai guards jumped in. The frenchmen suffered many wounds, and the thai king ordered that they be treated. upon healing, they sailed back to france and never returned. The guard had injured them so badly, he was given the name "muen plaan", or "knight of destruction" by the king.

hey, how far are you from herndon va? I know someone who's having a fight night there next thurs, and he's looking for a few fighters. He will cover your travel expenses if you go.

Originally, Muay Thai was very brutal, even deadly. There were no weight categories, and few rules. There was also no padding or protection. Fighters wrapped their hands in either strips of horse hide or hemp rope to protect their hands and cause their opponent maximum damage. If both fighters agreed, they would sometimes dip their hands in a type of glue and then dip their hands in broken glass to cause severe cuts and bleeding during the fight. Fighters would wrap their ankles with cotton wrap and either wear coconut shells or triangular pillows for groin protection. In those days, many fighters died in the ring, especially from knees and elbows.

Probably the most famous Thai fighter of all time is Nai Khanom Dtom. During the many wars with Burma, Muay Thai fights were still being held and Nai Khanom Dtom was known as the greatest fighter in all of Siam, the previous name of Thailand. The Burmese had heard of how great this fighter was so they captured him to pit him against 12 of Burma's greatest fighters. If he could defeat all 12, he would be allowed to go free. The day of the fight came and a stadium was filled with Burmese people all wanting to see the death of this Siamese fighter. The first fighter came out and was instantly killed by Nai Khanom Dtom's lethal elbows and knees. The next fighter came out and met the same fate. One by one each fighter came out and fought ferociously to their death. As the day wore on, nine fighters had been killed at the bare hands of Nai Khanom Dtom, but something strange had begun to happen. As the Burmese people watched this fighter struggle against the odds and battle each fighter without rest, they soon found themselves cheering for their enemy, Nai Khanom Dtom. At the end of the day, Nai Khanom Dtom stood among twelve lifeless bodies in the middle of the stadium. The crowd cheered and the King of Burma had no choice but to set him free. To this day Thai boxers dedicate on night each year to the memory of Nai Khanom Dtom.

Just a tid bit of History for you Muay Thai buffs who may not have heard the story before.

You got those from websites, am Thai myself

I know very little about muay tghai history but you are right.

My name is เอกชัย ครับผม. My grandad know more than the internet.

I am a karate master, the way of balance, and the way of invisibility.

I did not post this as a challenge to your grandfather, nor did I post it in order that one might think everything in history is absolute fact. I just thought it was a cool story... always have. And there are a lot of things about Muay Thai that are not known since the burning of Ayutthaya in 1768, when the royal arhcives were destroyed. I also never claimed to have more information than your grandfather not that it has anything to do with the post. Jeez, some of you people are just way too confrontational. Why does it matter where I got the article from? Just out of curiosity. I don't think I claimed it as an original work at any point. One more note; I also did not claim that this was a COMPLETE history of Muay Thai. note at the bottom it says "tid bit". That means a small amount.

I did not post this as a challenge to your grandfather, nor did I post it in order that one might think everything in history is absolute fact. I just thought it was a cool story... always have. And there are a lot of things about Muay Thai that are not known since the burning of Ayutthaya in 1768, when the royal arhcives were destroyed. I also never claimed to have more information than your grandfather not that it has anything to do with the post. Jeez, some of you people are just way too confrontational. Why does it matter where I got the article from? Just out of curiosity. I don't think I claimed it as an original work at any point. One more note; I also did not claim that this was a COMPLETE history of Muay Thai. note at the bottom it says "tid bit". That means a small amount.

]

Chill out friend, nice cool article!!! :karate: :karate:

sorry dude, I get a bit defensive as I've been taking a beating in some of the other forums, I mistook you comment as being confrontational, no worries then. :D :D

sorry dude, I get a bit defensive as I've been taking a beating in some of the other forums, I mistook you comment as being confrontational, no worries then. :D :D

No problem freind I like your style!! :wink: :wink: