• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My first TKD test coming up - what was yours like?

Preparing for my first test in a couple of weeks. Obviously I know what the material is that I've been learning and any of that can be part of the test. But since I haven't done it before I'm wondering what it was like for others.

FWIW, I expect to be asked some basic knowledge, to demonstrate the basic strikes, kicks and a form. We also have spent about 20% of our time on self defense - how to avoid and break free of wrist grabs, how to get an attacker off of you if you're on the ground, how to fall safely. (Actually spent 2 whole classes rolling on the ground with a 200 lb. 1st gup.) So I'm expecting some of that as well. But I have no idea what the atmosphere will be like or how mentally different it is than training.

So, what did you have to do? And what was the atmosphere like? I know the material - what should I do to be mentally prepared?

Thanks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Our first test at my TKD place basically they just run you through the form and some basic techniques to make sure you can do them on your own. At the HKD school I went to for awhile the first test I had there was basically the same but it took a little longer because you were grabbing and turning and all of that stuff. First tests might be nerve wracking but they aren't usually hard. Just concentrate and do the best you can.

Long Live the Fighters!

Since you are a white belt in TKD, dont expect much, but don't be suprised. Your instructor might "spring" stuff on you.

My first school was Tang Soo Do, which was similar. I had to know the basics, term, basic releases from grabs, basic falling techniques, one steps for my rank, and 3 basic forms (I wasn't allowed to spar yet).

My first TKD school was the same (minus the falling and release stuff, and only one form). I still wasn't allowed to spar (I had to start over ... different art), eventhough I had experience (modesty I guess :) ).

Laurie F

It was so long ago, I really don't remember my first test.

In the past, I tested my own students on these items for their first test:

1. Basic stances

2. Basic blocks

3. Basic kicks

4. Pinan Shodan Kata

Also, and my students know this, they are tested literally in every class on effort, attendance, technique, willingness to learn, etc, so the actual testing is was a formality. I didn't test them until I know they can pass it.

As of a couple of months ago, I've discontinued formal testing and replaced it with promotions when they are ready for them. This goes along with the testing in every class. I will watch them for a couple of weeks (basically testing them without them being aware of it) in class, and when I'm satisfied they are where I want them to be for their next belt, I award them the next belt.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Ill be taking my first test at the end of the month. I go to a branch school so Ill be traveling to the main school to test. We re expected to do 3 forms weve been working on , some one step sparring techniques , speak a lil korean , and break a board . Wish me luck

I never try anything...I just do it.

wanna try me

Here are a few things that I hope will help:

1. Arrive early and warm up on your own, review your test material and techniques.

2. Look sharp, it is your day to shine. Press your uniform, get a hair cut and close shave (if needed) make sure finger and toe nails are trimmed and filed.

3. Offer to help with setup; chairs, tables, mats, etc. It shows a great attitude to your instructor and can help burn off some nervous energy.

4. Just before time to start, take a few minutes to meditate or deep breathe to focus on your task at hand.

5. GET OUT THERE AND STRUT YOUR STUFF! YOU HAVE WORKED HARD TO GET WHERE YOU ARE!

Good luck and enjoy your day, for most people the first test is the hardest (mentally) so if you can do this the rest will be easy!

CD

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

Thanks for all the inputs. CloudDragon - great suggestions. That helps me understand the mindset I should be looking for. As I mentioned above, I know the material and can do the moves and forms, so the only place I could get tripped up is mentally.

I'm going to print that out and keep it in my bag until the test!