• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Couple Questions

I eventually want to become an instructor of my style, Shotokan. It is a goal that I have set for myself, and I will eventually reach it. So, that said, do any of you have any suggestions, tips, or pretty much anything that will aide me in reaching my goal?

For example, is there anything you would have done differently, or perhaps not done at all? Conversely, was there anything that you wish you had done while on the road to becoming an instructor?

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I eventually want to become an instructor of my style, Shotokan. It is a goal that I have set for myself, and I will eventually reach it. So, that said, do any of you have any suggestions, tips, or pretty much anything that will aide me in reaching my goal?

For example, is there anything you would have done differently, or perhaps not done at all? Conversely, was there anything that you wish you had done while on the road to becoming an instructor?

First of all, you need to find out what your Shotokan organization requires to be an instructor.

Secondly, if you feel your sensei is a good instructor, watch and learn from him. Learn what he does that you like, and learn what he does that you don't like, so that you don't make the same mistakes.

Thirdly, I'd suggest taking psychology and teaching classes if you can. they can be very helpful.

Fourth, learn your techniques inside and out. Learn all terminology required for your system, your kata so well you dream about them in your sleep, and strive to be the BEST sensei on the planet! Of course, I already have that distinction, so you'll have to settle for 2nd best...but that's OK too! :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Wow, thanks WW...that was...intriguing.

- Sun-tzu

Why not try asking your instructor if you can help out with the beginner classes sometime? Let him know that you want to become an instructor someday. With large lower-grade classes, instructors sometimes welcome help, especially if it is unpaid and if it has been volunteered willingly!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

That is an excellent suggestion, aefibird! Thanks!

- Sun-tzu

Anything else from anyone? All info is good info.

- Sun-tzu

Analyse. Look at your instructors and think about which one's you admire and respect (disregard belt level) and which ones you learn the most from. Then really think hard, why it is so. I don't mean copy them because you can't be someone else. But if you can figure out what makes them good you will use their skills in your own way.

My best instructors have been positive, encouraging and have made me love training, and I think it's because they've led by example.

Thank You markusan, that's good advice.

- Sun-tzu