• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Running without shoes on

40 cent

Hey guys i was watching the world karate tournament the other day, and i noticed that when it shows the fighters training, they always run on the tarmac in bear feet. so, i was wondering, is there any benefit to this? ie, will it strengthen my ankles and toughen my feet to aid my karate? or is it just unneccessarily placing stress and damage on my feet? thanks guys

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well people in Kenya run barefoot alot on dirt and it makes their soles really tough. I am not sure running on tarmac is a good idea though...sounds like it might cut the foot pretty easy, especially if its just regular road and not an indoor track. Any time you run barefoot on a flat surface you are pushing your feet and ankles abilities to handle the stress...so it might make them stronger, however, you might also end up with long term problems with your feet.

Long Live the Fighters!

If you want to run in bare feet I wouldn't recommend tarmac, only something fairly soft, like grass or a dirt road.

I think the dangers of running around in bare feet would outweigh any benefits you might get from it, though.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Barefeet rules! I hate wearing footwear.

Seriously though, running barefoot is technically bad for your feet because they are not being supported and you can suffer from fallen arches or other foot problems. I have no arches myself.

The advantage probably is the calus you would build up I suppose.

In the summers, I'm usually bare foot anyways when I can. I go camping and I hardly ever wear shoes. I run on gravel, sticks, twigs whatever. I have nice Flintstone feet by the end of the summer :P Not because Im trying to benefit my feet for karate or anything, I just really really hate footwear.