• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sh ito ryu Karate

sansoouser

Does anyone know this style? Does it have any high jumping kicks, what are the philosophies and principles behind it?

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shito ryu is a traditional and one of the four major styles in japan. it was founded by Mabuni Kenwa and is a blend of two fo his major influences Shuri te (shorin ryu) and Naha te ( goju ryu). Then name actuelly comes from the frist Kanji of his two most influentul teachest being Itosu and Higaonna.

Check out this site it has more infromation.

https://www.martialsource.com

hoep this helps

Ron Davis

Sandan (Motobu ha Shito ryu)

Being traditonal shito ryu does not beging with high jumping kicks. There are different branches of shito ryu some stress low deep stances. Low stances to not make for leaping kicks.

Do you want a style with "high Jumping kicks"?

These aren't really very practical in any application, are you looking to be a movie star?

Purple Belt

Yes, I have done some stunt work for films and would like to learn to do the high jumping kicks.

I also have a friend who is a fight choreographer who hooked me up with a few jobs, and said I could get alot more if I could do these.

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.

Traditionally there are only a few kata with a jump kick inthem and they are jump front kicks kata like Kosokun Dai, Chinto and Superempei I believe are the only kata with this kick in them.

If you are looking for flash you might want to check out some kind of Open style of karate or Tae Kwon Do.

Ron Davis

Sandan (Motobu ha Shito ryu)

Looking for cool moves to perform on films. Then go with Taekwondo, modern wu shu and gymastics.

Tang Soo Do would also suit well. This is the martial art style where moviestar Chuck Norris originally was trained in.

"Practising karate means a lifetime of hard work."

~Gichin Funakoshi

Personally I would like to see a film with traditional karate applied properly. Of course it would be less flowery then say Jet-li but I think the raw representation of the efficiency, grace, and brutality of karate would capture audiences by itself. It would make for shorter fight scenes though. Of course sometimes the shortest scenes are the most powerful ones.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Ah, but would it make $$$??

That's often all the major studio's are interested in, usually to the detriment of great films and directors.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!