• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

is Goju-ryu bad for health?

P.A.L

Hi

I practice shorin-ryu ,when I decided to learn a goju-ryu kata naturally I chose Sonchin as a base kata later I read some articles about the danger of practicing sonchin because of dynamic tension breathing

I ‘d like to know your opinion as a goju-ryu practitioners about following lines:

Mark Bishop in his book “Okinawan karate” :

“in order to harden the buttocks during the sanchin exercise , forceful closing of the anal sphincter is practiced .this ,I was assured will result in haemorrhoids after only two or three years of regular practice.” , in my copy of the book it says “haemorrhoids” which I think is “hemorrhoids”

Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The dynamic tension form of Sanchin can be harmful if not taught and practiced correctly. It seems that although the dynamic tension version of the kata is popular, it is not it's original form and I personally feel that the essence of the kata is lost in performing it this way. I now practice a completely relaxed form of Sanchin emphasizing the internal system.

You can read more of my own findings here:

http://www.gojuforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=96

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

One more thing on the tension thing. You will also note in Mark Bishop's book that he states that Yashio Itokazu performs his Sanchin "even softer than Miyazato". This implies to me that Miyazato did not apply the dynamic tension that we commonly see in the kata....

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

Exactly right telsun it is the breathing that creates the power and strength in sanchin not the tightening of muscles. Unfortunately someone saw a goju practioner and figured that they are squeezing thier muscles very tightly that is just bad for you and has nothing to do with san chen ps i used the chinese spelling because if you wanna know about goju you have check its origins and not just Mark Bishops published works

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

I've read some stuff too that it's not good for your health (can't remember where). As long as you are not sure I wouldn't want to train that way. Why not ask your doctor?

René

BTW, your title is a bit generalized. I'm not saying Goju ryu is bad for your health (and I don't think anyone else here), just training that particular kata in that particular way.

Just to be sure...

René

Yes, I chose a bad title , it’s not about goju ryu it’s about Sonchin, I just asked about your personal experience if you ever had any symptom like the one Mark B. refers to.

Never had the symptoms that mark bishop had mentioned and even though I fell it is an excellent book on the whole I feel he misrepresented Sanchin kata quite badly perhaps he missed some crucial details on performing the kata itself the best place to get details about this kata is form chinese masters who call it San Chen and is done quite softly without any of the pigeon toe typically seen with goju ryu. It is a chinese kata after all

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro