• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MA Changed my Life

...he said he'd be able to handle himself better in a fight than before. After 9 months of training, I wouldn't consider that such a radical assumption.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me this is not having more confidence. To me this is having too much confidence. In 9 months of training you still don't know a thing about fighting. That's something completely different then sparring in a dojo. An attitude like this could get you in a lot of trouble.

Don't get me wrong, I do not go around looking for trouble. As a matter of fact, the only time I almost got into a fight (it was about a month ago), I ended up talking the guy out of it (he was high on coke and drunk). I didn't threaten him at all, I just said something to the effect of "do you really want to get into trouble here in public? Those security guards will kick all of us out, and our friends too. Let's just forget this whole thing ever happened."

Again, I never go out looking for trouble, nor do I have any misconceptions that I could kick anybody's butt. I just know that, if I were to be attacked, that I'd be better prepared than I would be 9 months ago. Period, end.

Anyway, I came back to this site today to edit my post, as I didn't think it got my point across the way I wanted (too late to edit now!). I was going to take out the "people take note of me" comment, and replace it with "I don't get ignored" or something to that effect. I used to walk around with slumped shoulders, with no confidence in myself at all.

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

Respect. Another aspect I've noticed as well. I find I'm being respectful to those around me a little more.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cathal,

I completely agree with you. Although I can't say how is has changed my life because it has always been a part of my life, I can say that it is a big part of who I am today. These changes are common and are some of the wonders of the Martial Arts Journey. I hope you continue to notice these positive changes. Best of luck in you MA.

https://www.aacd.info

"Be like the essense of water"

I might mention the physical pay-off of training, but the gains aren't as great as I've found swimming is for my body. Same with the alertness; that came from being observant.

The benefit that I've been very interested in is this - I can walk into a room or store now and people will look up and notice my presence.

...and it's not because I'm getting more cute! :wink:

Am I just nuts?

Thanks Shawn, I appreciate it.

Davantalus, you're not crazy LOL I've noticed it as well.

- Sun-tzu

Yeah I know what you mean.

- Sun-tzu