• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MA Changed my Life

I've been practicing Shotokan on and off since I was 15 and in January of this year I've made a life-long commitment to both Shotokan and MA. Since that time I've noticed some major changes take place in my life, both physical and mental.

The physical changes were first. The first of which was the surge of energy in my body. I have more energy to do more things throughout the course of my day, and I feel tired much less. This was the first thing I noticed. Next, breathing. I breathe much better, clearer, and slower. I tended to have asthma attacks, but they're much less frequent now. My carpal tunnel syndrom is less painful and my hands feel stronger. What a huge surprise! I find I'm doing much more with my hands and my morale has skyrocketed.

But the most influential changes, I think, were mental. I have more focus, more self-discpline, and more...well, of me. I am essentially a different person. All of this is flooding into my personal and work life and I find I am more efficient, more attentive, and even my memory has improved! I feel regrettful that I didn't commit to this earlier in my life, but it isn't healthy to dwell on such things. Now these soft skills moving over to the other aspects of my life were a total surprise (in a long line of surprises, LOL). I understand that an increase in self-confidence can change someone almost overnight, but all of these little things are making the biggest impact in my life. Has anyone else noticed these changes, especially when it comes to home and work life?

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second your words :)

I am stronger, faster, good looking (last weekend I was with my friends and the girls started showing off their abs. Well .. nothing compared with mine, hard and very nice looking. Thank you Karate :D ) ... I can concentrate better, I feel I learn faster, anyway .. only good things :karate:

Not to mention I last long ... if you know what I mean :D :D :-?

But the most influential changes, I think, were mental. I have more focus, more self-discpline, and more...well, of me. I am essentially a different person. All of this is flooding into my personal and work life and I find I am more efficient, more attentive, and even my memory has improved!

And how do you know this is because of the martial arts?? You can't compare it with a second you not doing MA.....

René

I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to say, Ripper, but I do know it is the MA that has influenced everything. Being more aware is simple enough evidence of that.

- Sun-tzu

Yeap, martial arts helped me a bunch. I was kind of lazy (still am) before I started martial arts.. but MA helped me get off my donkey and do the things I've always wanted to do such as paintballing and rock climbing (FUN!!!). It also inspired me to start lifting weights.. and don't even get me started about my abs :P Though that is due to the weight lifting/calisthenics I do on my own, at home.

And how do you know this is because of the martial arts??

Inductive reasoning :)

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

This is funny. This Saturday, I'm going to advance from White belt to Green belt (my school usually goes White-Yellow-Green, and only holds Shiai's every 6 months), something that has only been done one other time in my dojo's 24 year history.

So, there's a little test handed out, listing the things you need to know before you advance, and the Sensei just makes sure you know your stuff (it's mostly for the kids, I'm 28 years old). Anyway, on the White - Yellow test, it asks you to list a few ways your life has changed since joining the martial arts.

Anyway, I can honestly say that the martial arts (in my 9 months of training) really has made me into a better person. I am in better shape, I know I'd be much better off handling myself if I were to get into a fight than I was before. I have much more confidence in myself, and I don't take things from people that I used to (I used to be a pushover, and didn't stand up for myself the way I should have). I have more of a presence around me now. I walk into a room, and people take note of me.

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

I feel the same way.

- Sun-tzu

I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to say, Ripper, but I do know it is the MA that has influenced everything. Being more aware is simple enough evidence of that.

What I was asking is; how do you know that (for example) you are MORE aware because of MA? You don't know what would have happened if you didn't do MA.

René

Anyway, I can honestly say that the martial arts (in my 9 months of training) really has made me into a better person. I am in better shape, I know I'd be much better off handling myself if I were to get into a fight than I was before. I have much more confidence in myself, and I don't take things from people that I used to (I used to be a pushover, and didn't stand up for myself the way I should have). I have more of a presence around me now. I walk into a room, and people take note of me.

To me this is not having more confidence. To me this is having too much confidence. In 9 months of training you still don't know a thing about fighting. That's something completely different then sparring in a dojo. An attitude like this could get you in a lot of trouble.

René