• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial arts brotherhood?

I have a question. I hear of people making fun of martial arts (styles, that is) on messege boards. But when my boyfriend travels for his job, he wears his dojang t-shirt sometimes, and when another martial artist see it, they bow to each other. It's like a mutual respect for the arts.

Like for instance: last week, he was in the airport coming home from Dallas, and the security dude noticed his shirt. He just bowed to him and said, "How are you, sir?" This guy didn't know what art my boyfriend did, but he knew he was a martial artist, and gave him respect. My boyfriend did the same (this happened more than once). They talked about MA in general, then bowed again, and went on their way.

I think that all martial artist, reguardless of the art they do, all respect each other. It's like a brotherhood.

Have any of you (doesn't matter what art or rank) been through this or seen this happen?

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never experienced it myself. But our head instructor's told us stories of it. He wears the Parker Kenpo crest on his jacket, and many times people have bowed as a sign of respect, one time it was even a guy at a hot dog stand, heh.

I've come across a lot of people that disrespect other arts/schools and make theirs out to be the ultimate. But I have come to the conclusion that this is not true for the majority.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

I think alot of it comes down to not being brave enough to say the same things in person you can get away with anonymously online. The vaunted Web Warriors as it were. I have my own opinions on certain styles and those opinions I give out freely online, however, when I meet someone from another style I usually base more on the person and listen to what they have to say.

Long Live the Fighters!

There sure is a brotherhood, built from an understanding of each others mindset. No matter what style, we all like fighting, we don't mind a bit of pain because of the rewards. A lot of people outside the martial arts ask me how can we describe fighting as art. My answer is that art is our non verbal way of expressing ourselves. some people tell their story through their music others paint...we fight. Its an expression of ourselves and one only other martial artists understand.

I've experienced the 'brotherhood' more at seminars and when working out with other styles and schools than anywhere else. But there is definately a respect and brotherhood when you meet a fellow martial artist, and most are very willing to share their art with you. There is a sense of belonging or togetherness whenever people share a common interest, and I think this especially goes for when our interest is punching each other! Nothing builds respect like mat time!

Freedom isn't free!

It is as any field of study. When you share a common passion, whether it be medicine, law, football, drug-dealing, law enforcement, or martial arts, you feel a degree of comraderie.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

i do not think there is a brotherhood amoung martial arts schools. i never wear any apparel saying that i kickbox or do jiu jitsu but when people find out that i train (martial artist or average joe) they start going on about how they could kick my * or something.......

Thanks for your answers :)

Unknown, I have seen one person like that, but the majority of martial artist are very respectful of other arts. Well, at least, in my experience with it.

tufrthanu made a good point about the online bickering. They are free to talk down other MA's, but most wouldn't do that in person (some would, but not all).

Laurie F

:lol: Whenever I meet another MA at a social event it's hard for us to go back to talking to anyone else. There is a MA brotherhood but I have to say I can be one of those jerks too. I love getting to fight with people from other styles and I think sometimes I come across as some kind of psycho :x . I'm also a born again MT guy and keep hounding people to come and try it. :brow: Sometimes u can take passion for your MA too far like I do and end up alienating other MA's. :cry:

Donkey

Its like being in the military. When all the MA get together at the bar we trade old dojo war stories. Its all in good fun. We are a strange breed.

Most other people think we are nuts anyway. They can't figure out why we go and pay money to train and get beaten up.

Hey wait!!! We ARE crazy!!!!!! :o :o :o :D

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.