• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Japanese ju jitsu(sp?), which style best for self defense?

vito, what happens when you are fighting more than one person on the street? don't get me wrong, I like BJJ also but On the street and on the mat are two different things. some one would probly get hurt if they took somebody to the ground to fight and the guys friend comes over and kicks him in the face. I know that bjj also teaches some stand up but the majority is groundwork.

Why punch someone when their on the ground when you can just kick them

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A smart fighter only goes to the ground when he has no other choice and knows what to do when he's there. Fighting one on one in a controlled environment is a duel. Fighting on the street is survival. The will to survive is much stronger than the will to win.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Reminds me of the time, some years back, a guy went into the standard guard position when it was clear i dominated him with wrestling skills. Problem was, we were on asphalt... and i proceeded to slide him around. :karate:

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all!

I'm a practitioner in Shorin-ryu Karate, and I've talked to my sensei about what type of techniques they teach in the higher ranked classes to see if they teach all aspects of self defense (grappling, punching, kicking, joint locks, pressure points, ground fighting) and they don't teach too much more other than punching/kicking and some breaks. So i want to round out my skills and get in some different training as well.

That is incredibly odd! What style of Shorin Ryu do you take and who is your teacher? For me, the amount of grappling, joint locks, pressure points and applicability to ground fighting is one of the biggest pulls of Shorinkan Shorin Ryu...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/