• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are you working on at the moment?

aefibird

Nothing much. Maybe mostly building some stamina and dropping some weight (something like 15lbs). I'm rather happy with the tech side just now.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my average weight droped 4lbs from the time i started practicing Sonchin i do it 3 times at night and 1 time in the morning. I also started learning Anan kata from Ryuei-ryu , it is a excellent kata.I wish i could find a Ryuei-ryu sensei in texas to learn this kata from him.

im working on internal energy and breaking...

i am also writing numerous volumes on different levels of martial arts from grip strenght, to psychological fighting to martial arts stories and breaking

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

It' complicated but I'll try to answer simply: The system is primarily WTF TKD with Shaolin Kung Fu and Chi-na added. My Master Instructor has also studied Shotokan so there is a unique blend of hard styles that I really like(could it be cause I also studied Shotokan :brow: ? ). He has altered some techiniques to reflect this but always kept true to WTF ranking, etc. Anyway, on the urging of some of his students (right Laurie!) he brought more of the self-defense aspects down into the colored belt ranks and in doing so added an additional belt level. Also, the one-step sparring was changed to better reflect the skills of each new belt level.

I think the change is very good as it builds better on the skills of the students, gives students more exposure to Chi-na skills earlier, and sets his system more apart from other TKD schools. In other words, it's no longer WTF TKD and Kung Fu, it is TKD with Kung Fu. All of the tradition and ceremony remains unchanged from both styles which further sets it apart.

Hope that answers the question without being too wordy not that I have a tendancy to run on or anything... :P

8)

Yes! LOL. Heidi and I are in the same system. So yea. I have a lot to relearn, also. I know the forms, but everything else is new to me. I feel like a beginner again LOL.

Laurie F

Well, I hope you don't mind me probing too much about your style, but I'm always interested in learning about other clubs and styles.

Anyway, is your school affiliated with any organisations? If so, is that for TKD or Kung Fu or both? Or is it part of its own org?

Also, what's the percentage of TKD to KF? About 50-50, or is it leaning more towards TKD?

Finally, do you incorporate weapons training into your system?

Thanks. :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I think Heidi would know more than me, so she can correct me if I'm wrong ....

Anyways, from white to red it's mainly TKD, except for some chin na. After that, I think, it's pretty much 40/60 (40 TKD/60 Kung Fu, including Chin Na). Our Master instructor has his own association, but we are affiliated with WTF TKD (kukkiwon). We do have weapons training (bo, knife, ect).

Check out the website for more info: http://www.usamastersacademy.com/

I hope this helps :)

Laurie F