• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are you working on at the moment?

aefibird

I'm working on my pinan 2, and that friggin' back stance. totally way too hard. it *seems* easy, but then there are just so many nuances to it...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm working on heian 3 - still - and playing around with some advanced kata i've picked up from watching my blackbelt friends train ... tekki 3, chinte and senkai at the moment. I love learning new kata!

Also I'm trying to master the use of the hips in my basic techniques, and my yoko geri kekomis. I can do it really really slowly but so far thats about it!

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals . . . except the weasel."

- Homer J Simpson

I agree, when I first did it I just thought it was 'bend the back leg and put the ball of the other foot on the ground in front' but there's actually so many aspects to think about - angling the front leg, sitting on the back leg, and not sticking your bum out on top of all that!

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals . . . except the weasel."

- Homer J Simpson

at the moment my main concern is to break my TKD habits while im at shotokan. main points being the positions my hands and feet come from before going in to the technique, and some of the positioning and hip movement is slightly different.

Having said that, im also starting to relearn my TKD forms (as i have not formally trained tkd for 3 years) and work on my kumite for the next "All Styles" tournament.

I entered the last one in May, my first ever tournament, and went down 5 - 1 in the first round of point sparring in Male Open Black Belt Class. I want to at least make the second round when i compete next, as well as enter in continous sparring and forms.

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, and I am NOT a big man.

Tae Kwon Do (ITF) - 1st Dan Black Belt

Shotokan Karate - 6th Kyu

• 4 weeks later...

Well, since I'm currently in a military course (I'm gonna be a technician in the IDF) I barely get enough time to practice. but when I do , I practice Heian Godan and Bassai-Dai (the two katas I have to present for my Nikyu belt-test) and several more nasty aspects of Ippon/Sanbon Gumite. My sensei told me I'll have to get ready for a brisky little thing called "Teno-mon" (Don't know if any of you are familiarized with the term) - Teno-mon is a test we do for black belts in my Karate-school, which consists of standing infront of a dan-3 , him punching you with full throttle, and you stopping him before he finishes the punch with a gyaku-tzuki (reversed punch) - I have NO IDEA how I'll pull that one off, I can barely walk in the same pavement with a dan-3 :P

Jijutsu Yori Shinjutsu (Spirit before technique)

"..The way, who will walk it clear and pure?"

-Gichin Funakushi, founder of Shotokan.

I'm a beginner, so I'm trying to learn everything for my next belt (6th Kyu) as well as I can. Kihon, Pinan Nidan, and a pair technique. Also trying to work on overall conditioning - I want to lose about 5 more pounds, convert all the extra fat to muscle and be able to do plenty of pushups and situps.

Also trying to learn footwork in kumite - how to get out of the way before getting hit, how to see an opening and take advantage of it. This is what I find most tricky, but I don't need it for my next test (we don't have to fight for belt until 5th kyu).

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)