• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Time and Rhythm in the katas

Jade

Something else you may want to do is locate an instructor or otherwise experienced karateka who knows the kata well. Learn the theory behind the kata and practice practice practice.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes...i think and feel i haven't practiced some kata enough to understand them at their fullest...

My current instructor once told my how Shirai used to teach katas...he tried to convince the students to see all the adversaries around while performing the kata. :D

"With a bit of imagination, kata can be deadly." - Hidy Ochiai

Yes, that's actually how my sensei approaches it too. She will have us do it (sometimes with our eyes closed) and envision that we are surrounded. She will occasionally emphasize the fact we are telling a story and that it is our responsibility to tell it correctly. Its a very interesting way to train, and it definitely helps you learn the bunkai and perfect those movements.

- Sun-tzu

It's important to visualise the opponent (invisible as he is). I've learnt that last week when I was trying to teach a beginner Taikyoku Shodan (the kata some dojos teach in order to help beginners with the sequence of movements .. we do it also and it's quite helpful). So back at the day. She was in mist regarding the turns and kept blocking with the other hand, so I just put my foot near her body and told her: "this is gonna hit you. Block it while turning". Needless to say she didn't missuse her hands anymore. And she saw the need for the darn block (not to mention she was happy she could hit me ... and I let her to make her feel good :lol: ) .. in few minutes she was doing the kata quite convincing. :karate:

My instructor will often stand behind or to the side of us when we're doing kata (especially the Heian's) and tries to attack to get us to block correctly. After being whacked a few times by a 5th dan whilst doing Heian Shodan (or whatever) you soon learn to block correctly and with good timing.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Well that's what the main purpose of the bunkai is, isn't it? To have the opponents surrounding you while you perform the movements, actually attacking you so you know how to block and counter effectively, is a big step in understanding much of the forms.

- Sun-tzu

Jade, you may want to take a look at this book:

Advanced Karate-Do

by Elmar T. Schmeisser, Ph.D.

It gets into Hip Power, Focus, Timing, Linkage and Breath. Also in this book are the katas broken down into breathing forms.

- Sun-tzu

Jade, you may want to take a look at this book:

Advanced Karate-Do

by Elmar T. Schmeisser, Ph.D.

It gets into Hip Power, Focus, Timing, Linkage and Breath. Also in this book are the katas broken down into breathing forms.

Hey i appreciate your help!

Thanks for the title...i'll see if i can find it. :)

Wow. How about asking sensei ? I mean, if he can teach you the thing, he probably knows the timing he expects to see.

but as a rough guide, block soft( slow) strike hard ( fast) turn sharp.

plenty of kime, hip etc.

the breathing correctly is about as hard as it gets

also, zanshin, mai-ai and metsuke.

have a look at the top competitors in full flow ( world championships etc not your local county chap - unless he/she is world champion )

thats how kata will LOOK when the FEEL is correct.

oss

Not dead yet. I just havent showered after training

Wow. How about asking sensei ? I mean, if he can teach you the thing, he probably knows the timing he expects to see.

That's an obvious answer...but lately i didn't spend much time in the dojo and i try to train home too...even if few minutes per day...i need to find a good quide to follow when i haven't a Sensei.