• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mind over matter?

cool i wondered where it came from, thanks for that, its one we use alot as well as:

"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up." which is vince lombardi

"Some people dream of great achievements, others stay awake and do them."

- Beth Lukens

and others but i side track.

Seize the day!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I had the "opportunity" at my 5 kyu grading. I was extremelly nervous, because I wanted to shine and really deserve my rank and I got a dry mouth (happens when I'm too emotional). In this situation I must drink some water and it's OK. Still I couldn't do it, because I was in testings and ALONE. So I did my kihon combos as powerful as I could and I got to the kihon kumite part. At this moment it was hard to figure out a way to breath, I had sand in my mouth (at least that's what I felt), and not a drop of saliva. Then 3 matches of free kumite. I was turning white (I imagine those who were watching were betting on the moment I would drop uncounscious ... I guess nobody bet on me surviving :D ) ... I was hyperventilated (sp?) and could barely stand up. I still managed to make some problems to my sparring partners (higher ranked and more used to sparring) and then ... kata. With the last drop of life I managed to muster all my strenght (where from?) and performed a kata that was powerful and convincing. After that I bowed and limped to my place. I could barely see my place .. but I had no problem seeing the water bottle. Nobody opposed. I got back in formation and did an entire training session (sadistic bas...ds :D ). After the training I got my rank, though I didn't matter anymore. I was glad I did it and didn't mess it. I was applauded by all :karate:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I've never been that exhausted or pushed in my martial arts training. Ah wait, yes I was, once. We were doing light contact sparring with no gear (but that turned into full contact with the guy I was sparring.. sort of an agreement we have :)) and I attempted to roundhouse him to the ribs, but he managed to block my foot with his elbow (I think.. that's what it felt like) and he must've hit a nerve or something because I could hardly walk on that foot. But I just ignored the pain and kept fighting like normal. However, after that I had to lighten up a bit, and man it hurt when I got home.

What was going through my head? "I can't give him the satisfaction of knowing that he hurt me" :karate:

That exact same thing has happened to me with a friend I have the same agreement with just about 5 times, and i couldnt walk for about 2-3 days each time it happened.

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

I think the opposite is true. It's not mind (or thinking mind) that allows you to go on when you think your exhausted. It's that mind that is thinking that your exhausted or in pain. The trick is to switch off that mind or at least settle it down a bit. The body is capable of far more than the mind gives it credit for. I suppose that's a safety measure. That's why training beyond your limits is so important. Because once you have, then next time when your head is telling you you can't work any harder, at another level you know that you can. I had a dog that kept digging holes in my lawn and nothing I would do would stop it .Then a friend suggested I give it a bag of bones. It worked. It was too busy thinking about the bones to worry about digging holes anymore. Now I use my breathing as my focus (though you could try a bone if you prefer) When I'm tired or sore I focus on my breathing. If your concentration is good you will no longer feel pain or fatigue, just breathing.

you know, i dont really have that problem because i love whtaever im doing so much. i actually have to make myself leave, because be it in the weight room, on the tredmill, on the heavy bag, or whatever- i want to do more when my body has allready done enough.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli