• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mind over matter?

When you reach that point in training where you want to give up either through pain or exhaustion whats goes through your head.

Do you stop or practice mind of matter, if you dont mind, it doesnt matter?

also, what was your hardest lesson ever?

what made you :bawling:

Seize the day!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

havent cried (yet) but when im really tired i just focus A LOT on the thing im doing so far its worked but as for mind over matter i dunno

Orange sash

I've never been that exhausted or pushed in my martial arts training. Ah wait, yes I was, once. We were doing light contact sparring with no gear (but that turned into full contact with the guy I was sparring.. sort of an agreement we have :)) and I attempted to roundhouse him to the ribs, but he managed to block my foot with his elbow (I think.. that's what it felt like) and he must've hit a nerve or something because I could hardly walk on that foot. But I just ignored the pain and kept fighting like normal. However, after that I had to lighten up a bit, and man it hurt when I got home.

What was going through my head? "I can't give him the satisfaction of knowing that he hurt me" :karate:

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

I've never cried during training but I have gone to the point where I have thrown up after training. I figured out that I shouldn't eat before training, and i still ahven't. anyway, we were training for 8 hours straight, and I was just purely exhausted, everyone was. We had just done tons of basics, combos, oi tsuki and kata. Now we had to do Kumite, and we are a very competitive club. Anyway, so we started doing kumite and my last fight was paired with my sensei. And we went full on, we started fighting as if it was the World Championships. at some point i tripped and fell and had trouble getting up, and it took everything I had just to get back up. IN the end, it ended in a draw but as soon asi bowed and stepped off the mat and puked as hard as i could into the nearest garbage bin. That was the hardest training i have done, but it taught me a lot about myself....and what stomach acid tastes like :dead:

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

When you reach that point in training where you want to give up either through pain or exhaustion whats goes through your head.

If it's through pain, i usually listen, assuming the pain is extreme. With exhaustion, i simply decrease my energy output until my second wind kicks in.

Do you stop or practice mind of matter, if you dont mind, it doesnt matter?

Matter exists. Physicists have been able to determine that matter is energy, and vice versa. One is tangible, the other not. Matter/energy may change in properties or state, but they exist in one form or another.

All that rambling aside, the human body functions because of matter/energy that works in collusion, creating a sentient entity with moveable material parts. Electrons are used by the human body to transfer data and to encourage muscular retractions. It is the brain, an organ, that is comprised of both matter and energy. A masterwork symbiosis that is generally considered to be finite and limited in its influence to that of the matter/energy contained within the human body it inhabits. However, such is not the case. One can lift an object, insert foriegn objects within the body and convert it to other forms of matter/energy, blow out a candle from a distance, exude chemicals into the atmosphere (pheremones, etc) that impact distant material compositions (other human bodies, for example), influence changes in other material compositions (such as the way one idea is expressed to another, thereby illiciting 'new' thoughts and/or emotions), etc.

Mind over matter... no such thing. Mind is matter, and it is energy... and it is neither. It is the matter/energy symbiosis that provides one the ability to see beyond the 'assumed' limitations imposed by 'other' symbiotic matter/energy entities.

The proper definition of such, would be to step beyond the 'socially assumed' limitations associated with the matter/energy symbiosis of the human body. In that, my answer would be yes...

also, what was your hardest lesson ever?

Physics, as it pertains to existence and not merely the theoretical aspects. Specifically, every action having an equal and opposite reaction.

what made you 'cry'

Age 17 (approximately 123 years ago), practicing for a wrestling tourney. Decided to work out with my brother, who was not a wrestler, but was nonetheless a willing scrapper. He became annoyed at my face cross-overs and decided to relocate his elbow into my thigh. My leg stiffened up and then many minutes later relaxed. A few hours later it stiffened up again, and remained that way for almost six months.

Nothing broken. He merely 'accidently,' yet intentionally struck me at a critical nerve center.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

lol you didnt get it, read it again, its a thing we say at my gym

when some complains we say use mind over matter, they say what do you mean???

we say if you dont mind it doesnt matter.

Seize the day!

RE: Mart

That's an old Satchel Paige quote (Mr. Paige was a great pitcher for the negro leagues, and didn't make it into integrated major league baseball until he was near the end of a long career).

Age is mind over matter

If you don't mind, it doesn't matter

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke