• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A new kata

aefibird

Kumite988, the kata you're thinking of is Kanku Dai. Kanku Sho starts with three reinforced uchi-uki's - one to the left, then right, then centre. I think. I'm slowly picking it up after watching my fiance do it hundreds of times! Aefibird, Kanku Sho and Bassai Sho are the katas I can't wait to learn either (guess you've already learnt them now though). I love the jump in Kanku Sho and that end bit in Bassai Sho - awesome! I also really want to learn Jitte, I think the beginning bit is really cool. But at the moment I'm doing Heian Godan, its quite good really, my favourite kata so far... :karate:

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals . . . except the weasel."

- Homer J Simpson

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Angelica - you're right about Kanku Sho -it does start like that.

Godan is a cool kata to do if you're into jumps in kata. Personally, I'm not, even though Empi and Kanku Sho are 2 of my favourite kata! lol, I must just be mad if my favourites have in them something I dislike doing... :lol:

Jitte looks like a great kata - I don't know that one, although I've seen my instructor perform it. I'm having enough trouble getting to grips with Unsu at the moment to learn Jitte. :-/

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Hi

I love chinto from kobayashi-ryu also passai from

matsubayashi-ryu . i have a question for shotokan

stylist, how many passai(bassai) katas are there.

in shorin-ryu , sho starts with left step in, and dai

starts with right then left(2 steps).

also check this site and this kata "Anan" it's a very

nice kata. https://www.wonder-okinawa.jp

if you have problem downloading use this free software Net transport it let you to download the actual file, mms://media.wonder-okinawa.jp/023/b_001e.wmv

have a good weekend.

Uh, huh. Well everyone’s got their opinions. Why you would need to post yours on hating kata to a thread specific to favorite kata on a karate forum which is based on kata kind of bets me but hey, maybe you felt the itch and just needed to scratch it. Still you might re-think the appropriateness of it.

Wouldn't scratching the itch be a relief?

Anyway, my point was I was never a fan of Kata's, and never wanted to learn one because I found them fascinating or fun to do. I made my point as to why I wanted to learn a new kata. Now, as I was typing that, I realized that very few people would be able to recognize what I meant if I were to say "short form 2", so I excluded it. But hey, I guess I'll go with that. When I was a white belt I wanted to learn Short Form 2 because it was beautiful in that symmetrical sort of way, it was interesting (had a lot of variety) and was short and sweet.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

Hi P.A.L., welcome to KarateForums!

In answer to your question there are two Bassai kata in Shotokan - Bassai Dai and Bassai Sho. Bassai Dai is generally learned as a brown belt kata and is usually required knowledge for Shodan grading. Bassai Sho is a black belt kata. In my organisation (the FSK) it is one of the set list of kata which a person must know in order to take their Nidan grading.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I have a kata like that. If you look in the WKF rulebook, it has a list of accepted kata for teh four major styles. The last one, or one of the last ones, for Shito Ryu is a kata called Chatanraya Kushanku. I soooo wanna know what it is and learn it.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

I'm learning a new kata to prepare fo rmy brown belt. I absolutly love it! It's Pinan 5. It is also close to HienYonDan... i know that cause i've studied bith styles...

Obsession is a word used by lazy people to describe determination.

aefibird, thanks for the answer, once i was watching some shotokan katas and I realized the bassai dai in shotokan is almost same as passai sho in shorin-ryu(kobayashi) of course the nekuashi-dachi changed to front stance. and there was no bassai sho in the tape. so is this something simillar to pinnan shodan/Heian Nidan story here about bassai and passai? passai dai in our style starts by 2 steps then 4 high blocks/back fist strik in 3 direction.

do you have any link to a bassai-sho video clip.