• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A new kata

aefibird

Was there (or is there) a kata that you always wanted to elarn when you were a lower grade? A particular one that you couldn't wait to do and learn the application for?

For me, that kata was Kanku Sho. I always wanted to learn it when I was coming up through the lower kyu grade ranks. I finally got to go through it when I was a 2nd kyu and it was great to actually be doing a kata that I had watched and liked but never actually done before. I felt quite similar when I first learned Bassai Sho too.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I Hate kata so much. I just wanted to learn some of the more advanced katas so that I could have something to show for when my friends asked me to do something.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

you hate kata!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

yeah, i know, a lot of people aren't so into them... I like doing them though. Demanding, for sure, but fun to know. And yes, to perform them for your friends is good fun.

Hmm Kanku Sho...that's probably the same as a kata I practice called Shihokosukun. Does Kanku sho have around two jumps and a jumping kick in it? And does it start with the triangle looking at the sky thing? Followed by knife hand, turn knife hand, knife hand, knife hand, spear strike. Turn chop to the neck, front kick....etc...Bad description but it should be enough to see if they are the same.. hehe.

I Hate kata so much. I just wanted to learn some of the more advanced katas so that I could have something to show for when my friends asked me to do something.

Uh, huh. Well everyone’s got their opinions. Why you would need to post yours on hating kata to a thread specific to favorite kata on a karate forum which is based on kata kind of bets me but hey, maybe you felt the itch and just needed to scratch it. Still you might re-think the appropriateness of it.

Anyway, to the topic, yes there was a kata like that. It was Haksuryu. The white crane kata we practice always fascinated me and I really hated having to wait to learn it, especially after I saw some of the bunkai. The grace and lack of effort required for some of the techniques really amazed me.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

I have many........Empi, Bassai Sho, Chinte, Gangaku etc......

I love doing katas as watching performing them by others....i hope i'll have the chance to learn them all in the future. :)

"With a bit of imagination, kata can be deadly." - Hidy Ochiai

One I wanted to learn was Unsu as it looks pretty amazing when done properly. :D

I have always had the desire to learn kata and lots of it, so when I was taught a new one I practised it until I could remember it fully... although it took 3 seperate goes over the years at learning Tekki Sandan to make it stick properly!! :o

One I definitely didnt want to learn (although I know it now) is Hangetsu... watching that done properly made me realise that it is a very hard kata to do... I was a skinny 19y/o when I first saw it performed and I couldnt do the dynamic tension well enough to have done the kata justice. :cry:

Andy.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

I really enjoy learning and practicing kata's. I am not sure if anybody has heard of this one, but in Taikudo we have a green belt kata called Chino Kata. I cannot wait to start learning that one. I also have a liking for Heian Neidan. :D

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).

I forgot about Tekki Sandan.....i like the quick arms movements that are required....i guess is one of the hardest.

"With a bit of imagination, kata can be deadly." - Hidy Ochiai