• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shorei-Ryu karate?

Sky

What is Shorei-Ryu karate, exactly? Because there is a dojo in my town that teaches this style (not sure if I spelled it right, heard it from a friend).

I was wondering if this is a type of martial arts that a larger person could do? What does it mainly consist of? Does it involve any throws or grappling techniques? What about weapons? What is it all about? (besides the hokey-pokey?)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey Sky. Head over to this site: http://www.laneskarate.com/LanesKarate.cfm.

Its very informative, and to answer your question on the weapons I'm pretty sure they use tonfa, kama, and nunchucku.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

You'd do better to ask the owner or an instructor of the dojo. Only he can tell you what it is that they do there.

Someone on another MA board said this about shorei-ryu:

There is no longer a formal Shorei Ryu. Originally karate on Okinawa was thought of as either Shorei or Shorin. Some say that Shorei was influenced by Wudang and Shorin, by Shaolin. They were also called Naha Te (sans Uechi Ryu) and Shuri Te respectively. Later Shorei became Goju Ryu and Shorin stayed Shorin Ryu.

Trias karate (Shuri Ryu) and some * new flashy, crap, eclectic, American karate styles have claimed their heritage and style as Shorei. Uh-uh. Not even close. More like Shito Ryu and Shotokan with some acrobatics and shiny frilly do-gi. If there is a school calling itself Shorei Ryu you can bet it's Shuri Ryu or some other hodge-podge, modern tournament karate.

Is this true?

I remember reading Gichin Funakoshi's book "Karate-Do: My Way of Life" and he did touch on the shorei/shorin difference, but I'm afraid I don't know enough about Trias or if its al frilly competition karate.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• 5 weeks later...

huh? Shorei and Shorin are just terms in the throng-karate-style meaning "Slow and heavy" (shorei) and "fast and light" (shorin)

they are not.. as far as I know of.. individual martial arts O.o :-?

Jijutsu Yori Shinjutsu (Spirit before technique)

"..The way, who will walk it clear and pure?"

-Gichin Funakushi, founder of Shotokan.

• 1 month later...

yeah, i've been curious about shorei-ryu. I hate to be a st00b, but I first heard of shorei-ryu after seeing that xma show on discovery. Matthew Mullins said she studied shorei-ryu, and I've seen his demo videos and I like his style. I like his fluididty, acrobatics, and form. Shorei-Ryu obviously still exists 'cause in Illinois, they have the well known school called Sharkey's, which is where, I believe Matt Mullins trained. So obviously Shorei-Ryu still exists, I read on some sites online that Shorei-Ryu and Shorin-Ryu are the same thing, but as I continued my search, they became very different and infact there are four types of karate that emerged from Okinawa, they were goju-ryu, shorei-ryu, shorin-ryu, and uechi-ryu. Someone said that goju-ryu was probably the most similar, but I would hope that someone who has trained in shorei-ryu can post some more information about it