• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Final Say: GRAPPLING VS STRIKING

this has been bugging me for a bit now but the way the thread/post was made.

he turns up, no intro and then decides that he has 'the final say' and proceeds to give us over-simplified statements and some generalities that proved to un-realsitic, as well as the obligatory bruce lee quote....

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Practice knife techniques and disarms or controls before you make opinions on what you think work. There is a way to fight to be safe if the person has a knife or not. If you don't know if a person has a knife and you shoot in you are dead. Always assume someone is hiding a weapon so don't just assume controlling someone on the ground is always going to work. If someone is trained with a knife and you don't know what to do you are dead.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Um knives, i thought the question was grappling vs striking.

Actually i thouht on first reading that this was about the best way to beat the living cr@p out of this guys cousin just cos he was drunk.

now im confused.

Personally if i could only do one it would be striking as 100% of fights start standing even if 90% end up on the floor.

However, i think its a silly question. Not just because there is no real point to it.

But primarily because the the person asking the question thinks the answer is both.

Seize the day!

If someone is trained with a knife and you don't know what to do you are dead.

Thats not really a rue statement and im not sure what the point of it is. Normal people have survived knife attacks before..people with no training of any kind. On the other hand even if you are trained facing a knife is still one of the most dangerous situations. obviously if you are concerned about street self defense then you should include knife defense training.

An acquaintance of mine was stabbed 49 times, and was back at work within a month. The effectiveness of a knife is largely dependent upon the skills of the wielder, as is a gun, a boot, or a fist of fury. ;)

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

this has been bugging me for a bit now but the way the thread/post was made.

he turns up, no intro and then decides that he has 'the final say' and proceeds to give us over-simplified statements and some generalities that proved to un-realsitic, as well as the obligatory bruce lee quote....

I noted that too DM, but decided to dismiss it and focused instead on the ongoing discussions. This isn't 'our' community (it sure as hell isn't mine) and it's not like the guy insulted anyone with his posts. Well, he might have insulted our intelligence... but i'm used to that. :P

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Shotokan Warrior you are so right.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

A 5 year old with a knife is dangerous. A person doesn't need to trained in how to use a knife to kill you with a knife. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be standing near the untrained person flailing about with a bladed weapon. If you face a person with a knife you are going to get cut, period.

Welcome to McDojo's! One supersize blackbelt coming right up sir!

At Mcdojo's, your ability to succeed is only limited by the size of your wallet, and we back that up in writing!

Probably true you might not definately get cut but it certainly doesnt take much skill to be effective against an unarmed person.

The problem is if you dont know theyve got it. This is ten times worse. Cos in the mix and chaos of the fight everything is a bit blurry but this guy knows and remembers he has it. You may not see it coming. Then again he has to have the opportunity to draw it.

It is my experience that two inexpereinced guys going for it have natural lulls in the fight, even if the fight only lasts 40 seconds. In these moments the knife is pullled.

From seeing this i have concluded that, and it makes sence anyway, it is best to finish teh fight conclusively but more importantly, rapidly.

Seize the day!