• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Final Say: GRAPPLING VS STRIKING

Yeah, for clarification, grappling doesnt also mean actual on ground fighting-does it?

And for sure, a arsenal of many is better than a limitation of one.

So far, not to sound biased or one sided, I have yet to see a grappler take a hit from a very strong striker.

Hey, I would like to observe the other way around. Observation has me learn.

How many old Karate masters were strong strikers?

watch some mma matches. lidell, mo smith, silva, belfort, cro cop... all are primarily strikers.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not necessarily... some of those guys are such incredible grapplers that they force the opponent to play the striking game, because to grapple would mean loss. i dont think theyre primarily strikers so much as they primarily strike.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

no doubt they can grapple, I'm saying they are mainly strikes by way of their training. mo was a thai boxer, lidell did kenpo and (boxing?), siva was a thai boxer (I know he's a bb in bjj too though), etc.

• 3 weeks later...
not necessarily... some of those guys are such incredible grapplers that they force the opponent to play the striking game, because to grapple would mean loss. i dont think theyre primarily strikers so much as they primarily strike.
no doubt they can grapple, I'm saying they are mainly strikes by way of their training. mo was a thai boxer, lidell did kenpo and (boxing?), siva was a thai boxer (I know he's a bb in bjj too though), etc.

So what your saying is it's best to be well rounded? :karate:

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

haha wow... so much for "the final say" going on ten pages now..

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

• 2 weeks later...

I think everyone should know at least some grappling if you are a striker or some strking if you are a grappler, you never know in which situation you will be stuck on the street

• 2 weeks later...

Believe it or not, I thought that was the original assumption. Maybe it's living in the midwest or something, Then it was just a field goal style kick fest.

I love people who think like this, I really do.

OK, first off, lets address the whole multiple attackers thing:

Why is EVERYONE insistant that anyone thats a grappler is going to take the fight to the ground when he KNOWS there are others around? Christ, we're not stupid, and grappling INCLUDES throws and clinch work. The very fact that we KNOW how to fight from the clinch and KNOW how to GET UP when thrown to the ground is what can give us the edge over a pure striker and help us to survive with less injury (please, no talk about how Bruce Lee movies taught you to fight 10 people at once).

I have yet to see a street fight turn into a pure grappling match.

No *, but Im interested in seeing someone who can punch effectively from their back

Maybe a lot of these ground fights are the after school in the field type where it's not so nasty and dangerous to be on the ground. Maybe I'm just to old and am assuming we are talking about actual concrete when we say "street fights".

All of a sudden concrete is a hazardous and dangerous material? Who's going to be on their backs? Who's most likely to get thrown on their head? Certainly not the person proficient at grappling. For all the deadly techniques i hear you guys say about eye gouging, groin grabbing, throat crushing, and bone breaking, you seem to be overrating a few scrapes you get from the ground. You do realize that often bareknuckle matches result in fighters with broken hands right? I can handle a few scrapes (which will take a week to heal) than a broken hand (which will take 6-8). So I can argue "Why would you want to take striking? Who wants to break their hands hitting someone in the face?"

but most fights I've seen or been an unwilling part of stayed off the ground unless the other person was knocked off their feet. Who wants to end up on the nasty * stained concrete surrounding most bars and clubs.

Bingo, they got knocked off their feet, and Im willing to bet they ate a few strikes trying to get back up, or their opponent tried to follow them down and grab a headlock or G&P. Now, NO ONE wants to end up on the nasty stained concrete surrounding most bars and clubs, but christ will you REALIZE OFTEN YOU DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE.

Will you PLEASE LOOK INTO THE SUBJECT? EVERY striker that competed in the UFC OBVIOUSLY did NOT want to go to the ground, but they DID. Even when fights were striker vs striker, fights went to the ground. Even now with knowledge of grappling and defense, people still get taken to the ground.

As far as not believing how many fights go to the ground, go to Best Buy- they have a few street fight videos there, and EVERY ONE goes to the ground at one point of the fight. These are fights that did NOT get broken up, which are the ones you're thinking about. If a fight gets broken up by outside help, thats your self defense- you're fine. But if it doesnt, you're going to be engaged in some type of grappling during the fight.

Grappling is NOT a style of fighting, its a PHASE of it.