• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Final Say: GRAPPLING VS STRIKING

Though it is an old topic I find that it brings out a lot interesting viewpoints and I value each of them. So, if you could, bear with me and listen to what I have to say.

It has been said that 90% of all fights end up on the ground. It has also been said that all fights between inexperienced fighters end up on the ground. Personally I would prefer to stand up. I've been in more than a few scuffles and I remained standing through the duration of the fight. However this is just because I usually put the other guys lights out within two hits, thus reducing a chance for him to shoot on me.

My line of thinking is like that of Mas Oyama. Oyama said that he could knock out or kill you with one punch. (he proved it too when he killed three fully grown bulls during his sixtieth birthday celebration.) With power like that no one could beat you, and that is the common aim of all strikers, the one hit wonder, a single strike knock out.

On the other hand, grappling is very advantageous in situations where you do not want to absolutely destroy the other fighter. Take this scenario for instance: My high school graduation party is being thrown and I invited my party loving relatives over. My cousin gets wasted. He starts to throw chairs around. I have two options: 1). Knock his lights out and never be invited to Thanksgiving celebrations with my cousins family again. 2). Get him into a joint lock, head lock, leg lock, whatever until we can tie him to a chair until he sobers up. Obviously the second choice would be the most reasonable.

Being from both sides of the river (striking and grappling) I can say that if it were a fight between the two it could go either way. But if it were one of the two versus someone who could utilize both types of fighting then there is no question that the eclectic fighter would win due to his flexibility. Bruce Lee said, "Be like water. If you pour water into a cup it becomes the cup, if you pour it into a teapot it becomes the teapot. Water can flow but always remember that water can crash like the waves. So be like water my friend." Without the philosophical mumbo jumbo it basically means learn everything you can and you will dominate.

OSU

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It has been said that 90% of all fights end up on the ground. It has also been said that all fights between inexperienced fighters end up on the ground. Personally I would prefer to stand up. "

There were many other fighters who preferred to stand up as well, but take into account the wild chaotic nature of fighting. Knockdowns are much more common than knockouts, so chances are you'll catch a clean shot and send your opponent down without him being knocked out. Also consider you can very well trip and fall during a fight, especially when you clinch- its bound to happen, most common amongst people who do not know how to clinch/grapple. Often when inexperienced people clinch, the most common reaction is headlock to a takedown. Dont forget too that sometimes when you throw high kicks, you can very well lose your balance and fall. Then of course there are the grapplers who will actively seek to take the fight to the ground. Grappling leaves you very prepared for what will happen in a fight.

Grappling does prepare you for a fight, but being on the ground so close to your opponent makes it very easy for them to pull out a knife, or gun and use it effectively. In order to subdue someone via grappling you have to remain in contact with them, which gives them ample opportunity to deal some damage wiht weapon.

OSU

Grappling does prepare you for a fight, but being on the ground so close to your opponent makes it very easy for them to pull out a knife, or gun and use it effectively. In order to subdue someone via grappling you have to remain in contact with them, which gives them ample opportunity to deal some damage wiht weapon.

Umm... someone standing up can shoot you far more easily. As to the knife, you actually can feel and counter the actions of your opponent far better when grappling on the ground than you can when standing up. It may sound odd to you, but if someone has a knife, and i gain the opportunity to take him to the ground, i'll probably take it.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Well said white warlock- no ones claiming to be an expert in weapon disarms and all, but in order to control someone, armed or unarmed, you have to engage in SOME type of grappling.

and not all grappling occurs when you are 'on the ground'.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Yeah White Warlock take him to the ground, but not yourself.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Personally I would prefer to stand up.

So would most people. Unfortunately, you don't always have that choice.

I've been in more than a few scuffles and I remained standing through the duration of the fight. However this is just because I usually put the other guys lights out within two hits, thus reducing a chance for him to shoot on me.

Most guys you will end up fighting in the street don't "shoot", they tackle - which if from their lack or experience. You've been fortunate.

My line of thinking is like that of Mas Oyama. Oyama said that he could knock out or kill you with one punch. (he proved it too when he killed three fully grown bulls during his sixtieth birthday celebration.) With power like that no one could beat you, and that is the common aim of all strikers, the one hit wonder, a single strike knock out.

the japanese saying - ichi-go; ichi-e - one encounter, one chance. The problem there is that 95% of the time, that won't happen.

As for oyama, he was indeed awesome, but I've heard several stories about the bulls - their horns were pre sawed so they would come off easily, the bulls were sickly, etc.

Without the philosophical mumbo jumbo it basically means learn everything you can and you will dominate.

Not necessarily that you will dominate, but that you will have a better chance of survival.

Umm... someone standing up can shoot you far more easily. As to the knife, you actually can feel and counter the actions of your opponent far better when grappling on the ground than you can when standing up. It may sound odd to you, but if someone has a knife, and i gain the opportunity to take him to the ground, i'll probably take it.

agreed. In a grappling situation, be it standup or on the ground, I can control the arm and the weapon. If there is distance between us, I cannot.