• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushin vs Other Karate Styles. Cold Hard Facts!!!!!

Profacci

Point tournaments are not Shotokan per-se, however, Shotokan seems to be most suited to point tournaments because (IMHO) they practice more point kimite and work more on making their kata look good rather than understanding the bunkai(application). You get all sorts in point tournaments like TKD and Kung Fu sometimes.

Also, the outlines I have given about Goju Ryu, Shotokan, Shito Ryu and Shukokai above do not nessarily hold true for all dojo. Some may be quite different.

For example, I once visited a Shito Ryu club that trained twice a week, one session point kimite and the other competition kata.

As for Goju Ryu in point tournaments, some Goju Ryu clubs do this but I don't think they put much stock in it. There is a style call Goju Kai which branched off from Goju Ryu. They may do more point kimite, however, I did visit a Goju Kai dojo once and they seemed very application based.

So, you can't always judge a dojo by the name of it's style.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.. thats true, even belts order may varry from one dojo to another , that depends on the personallity of the instructor ..

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

• 5 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Just wanted to *bump* this to say - Three letters...

G...S...P

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

G...S...P

I will agree with you that George St. Pierre is an amazing athlete and an amazing martial artist, his techniques have been geared towards a sports competition. Due to this he is focusing on certain techniques that may not be totally advisable in a combative situation i.e. a double leg takedown if your are not a law enforcement officer. Therefore im not sure that GSP should be involved in the discussion of the combative effectivness of an art. Just my opinion :)

GSP is just flat out a great athlete. He'd likely be the posterboy of effectiveness in any atlletic endeavor he partook in. I think he either tried out for the Canadian Olympic Wrestling team, or was going to but could not due to other committments. The man is a great athlete. Taking one extreme, a guy like GSP, and then comparing him as the Kyokushin prototype to the more run-of-the-mill types like myself, that try to get in two days a week of TKD, along with working a full time job and raising a family.....well, I'm not likely to measure up to GSP.

• 1 month later...
comparing him as the Kyokushin prototype to the more run-of-the-mill types

He has practised so much other styles. he has said he doesn't use kyokushin techniques really in MMA, but the most he got from it was the attitude.

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

G...S...P

I will agree with you that George St. Pierre is an amazing athlete and an amazing martial artist, his techniques have been geared towards a sports competition. Due to this he is focusing on certain techniques that may not be totally advisable in a combative situation i.e. a double leg takedown if your are not a law enforcement officer. Therefore im not sure that GSP should be involved in the discussion of the combative effectivness of an art. Just my opinion :)

Because GSP suddenly becomes an incompetent fighter when you're allowed to kick him in the groin or gouge his eyes... :roll:

There are groin strikes and eye gouges in all fighting styles. BJJ, muay thai, judo- they've all got their "deadly" techniques. The difference between these sport styles and other "combat" styles is that the sport ones have shown their versatility. They dont have to rely on a particular technique or set of rules. They've proven to be able to adapt to numerous situations, which is of far greater benefit for combat effectiveness than relying on an eye gouge or groin strike. If you're style relies too heavily on one thing (i.e. if I can kick to the groin I cant win a fight) then you're not going to have much success with it.

Interesting you bring up a law enforcement officer- a double leg takedown is one of the best things they could learn. They have to take someone down most of the time to restrain them and arrest them. If you dont know how to sprawl, double leg takedown works easy. Once on the ground on your back, if you dont know jiu jitsu you're in trouble.

I know plenty of people in law enforcement- grappling is the best thing they can learn. Sprawls save lives, and double leg takedowns work exceptionally well when someone doesnt want to be arrested.