• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"So, what rank are you?"

I get the "are you a black belt" question a lot too. I usually just say "yep." and prepare myself for one of the following statements:

1. can you (insert bizarre physical stunt here)?

Oh, I love that one....I've gotten everything from "can you chop this table in half?" to "can you make yourself invisible?" (seriously...)

My favorite is "could you kill me with your bare hands?"

depending who asks that one, I just look at them deadpan and let out an unemotinal "Yes."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our dojo has 14 levels (not including white) on the way to Black and no one considers it a McDojo.

White

Gold

Gold/Black

Orange

Orange/Black

Purple

Purble/Black

Green

Green/Black

Blue

Blue/Black

Brown

Brown/white

Brown/Black

Black

Training is hard and a lot of attention to detail. People do fail.

The reason for so many belt levels was explained to me to give people a feeling of progressing. We are generally required to know 3 katas for each level. There are extra requirements as well (like counting in Japanese etc).

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

First off, I get furious when people ask me "do you do karate?" I get even more furious when my friend who know what I do still ask me "oh, yeah, you got karate tonight dont you?"

As far as people asking what belt I am, my brother and I have devised a failsafe system. I dont know if anyone ever heard of combat ki, but its one of the worst styles in the world. (Pretty much they *ATTEMPT* to condition themselves to take repeated blows- wearing your opponent down because he gets tired of beating on you). I dont know the name of the guy who created this system, but when he created it, he automatically promoted himself to 10th degree black belt. :roll:

Therefore, my brother and I are going to create our own martial art, but we've yet to think of a cool sounding exotic name for it. Im younger, so I'll just tell people in the meantime Im only a 3rd degree black belt, but once Im like 35 or so, Im going to promote myself to 11th degree blackbelt (simply because there are none in the world :D )

And when they want me to show them some exotic move or technique- my response? "I cant, its too deadly" :wink:

:lol:I also have been developing my own MA. Similar to Combat ki. Here are some of the moves.

Cry Like a Baby kia: Weep, beg, plead and slobber till the opponent is so disgusted he walks away.

Bullet spitting Cobra:Take the first punch right in the teeth then spit the fragments in his eyes.

The Hemophiliac: Dripping, spurting, oozing blood everywhere making your opponent faint in horror.

Headless Chicken of unberable fright: run around screaming gibberish while soiling yourself.

The Flamingo: Stand on one leg while covering your head screeching "Not int the FAce!" repeatedly.

I lost an Eyeball, nobody move: Similar to I lost a contact, nobody move.

Compound fracture of Invincibility: Break your own arm till the bone comes out, nobody will touch u after seeing this, except the EMT's. :lol:

Donkey

this is definately not ego but I have always been a pretty good fighter. I had to spar against a black belt once and was left wondering "why was I able to get the upperhand so much?"

Then I sparred Rod Boslo and my perspective changed... somewhere inbetween trying to recover the wind that got knocked out me ;-)

:bawling:Yes, I too have been kicked, punched, KO'd, squashed, joint locked and humiliated by the best. But I've never lost on the street (knock on wood) so I guess it's true what they say. "Whatever doesn't kill u makes u wish u were dead." :idea:

Donkey

y'know,

i have found that the easiest way to explain to people how it works is to be mature and give real, sensible answers.

what i do when people ask me is tell them straight that we do not belt system.

they then ask about how do we know who's better.

the answer to that one is then 'then one who bled the least that evening'.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

um, gee....

thanks?

but please stop sniffing there.

i don't mind when we're in private but not in public please....

but still.

it's true.

i've just got bakc from my first heavy session for about two months.

my arm is bleeding, my knuckles are bleeding, my head is ringing and my left thigh hurts.

tonight i have bled the most because i am so out of training.

anyone wanna see pics of my knuckles?

i can post them here...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."